Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunercat software?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tunercat software?

Has any one gotten this softwear yet it dosent look like its as fancy as some of the others but the price deffinatly makes up for it. I would love to here from some people with experiance using it ob2 stuff or other wise. I think I am gunna order it here in the next few days so let me know what you think.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought it to tune 96-97 LT1's origonally...got a copy used that has 99-03 LS1 cars ie fbody/vettes...I honestly don't like how its setup & I'd first buy the hptuners licenses for the cars then use my cheap version. Its honestly just soo much harder to use. Not to mention it doesnt come with a scanner which means added cost anyways. Don't get me wrong it will get the job done & has most if not all the parameters as hpt or efilive but there are better options out there. What you see in that demo is just about what you get...there have been a bunch of added parameters since that demo but thats the feel & usability you'll get out of it. I would say front the extra $100-200 & get hptuners or efilive. If you'd like to buy my setup for 96-97 LT1's & 99-03 LS1's im asking for $475 if your interested though.

lata
Bill
Old 04-05-2006, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

I relize that it will be harder to use but on my buget i just cant afford to finsh out the fbodys for the same price as i could pay to have all fbodys and vettes. Yeah the scanner would suck if i didnt have hpt for 98 and 99 with eio alredy. It seems like they took away all the frills to bring down the price i.e drop down menues insted of tabs and buttons. Thanks for the offer on the used version but i think im going to buy new to save some hassel with switching everyhting over to my account so i can upgrade later.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

I've got it and I love it. Granted, it doesn't have the slick user interface that the other packages have, but the functionality is basically the same. I don't regret "cheaping out" one bit.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:08 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98redorangeta
Has any one gotten this softwear yet it dosent look like its as fancy as some of the others but the price deffinatly makes up for it. I would love to here from some people with experiance using it ob2 stuff or other wise. I think I am gunna order it here in the next few days so let me know what you think.
Hi

Do they make software for a 98 F body?

JA
Old 04-05-2006, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Yes they make softwear for 98 f-body
Old 04-05-2006, 09:44 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98redorangeta
Yes they make softwear for 98 f-body

Hi

Thanks. They do not list it on their web site. Where can I buy it?

Thanks JA
Old 04-05-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JGA
Hi

Thanks. They do not list it on their web site. Where can I buy it?

Thanks JA
Send them an email (address is on their website). They'll be able to tell you what and how to order.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

It is listed on there web site they just make you dig for it. Go to price information and then obd2 package and then vehical definition files.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tunercat = Junk... it was great for the LT1 cars.... but it's complete crap based on the real tuning solutions available now......

tuning software without scannning software = useless....
Old 04-06-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuner cat flash program is somewhat useful.

The look/feel of the setup is weak compared to the other options out there. Still an old serial cable, old chipsets, no scanner, It would not be my first choice for a lsx based vehicle.

Has anybody used tunercat with the road runner pcm?

Ryan
Old 04-06-2006, 02:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
Tunercat = Junk... it was great for the LT1 cars.... but it's complete crap based on the real tuning solutions available now......

I agree. I am an avid supporter of tunercat for LT1 cars (that's what I use on mine). But HP Tuners and EFI Live are both much more capable for LSx cars.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Disagreed.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Since most people seem to say its junk because it isant as easy to use well thats what you get for 1/2 the price but i also dont have a usb port on my lap top so i either have to upgrade my lap top and hpt or start paying 400 per modle year. Tuner cats is looking better by the second.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agreed

all other things aside look at the facts

tunercat=no scanner, very difficult to navigate, longer read/write times, pretty much non existant help file as to what tables do, things set to metric or imperial & cannot be "flipped" so make sure you have at least an excel converter handy.

Price & the fact that they can tune some of the older cars/trucks is great but as a user of tunercat I can say it isnt very good in comparison to what else is out there and even though you may save some $ up front, to get to the same outcome of a tune through hptuners or efilive would take you probably 5x longer.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In defense of TunerCat and looking at this from a tuner shop's perspective, they have been around a long time and have provided a consistantly good and predictable product and support at a very resonable price and very easy to deal with. Having dealt with them for possibly over 10 yrs, I do not need to stop my operation, call my CPA to calulate what another license or upgrade will cost and they have always responded within one business day, often within an hour. If only we could get such good, fast, consistant support from some of the new players in the market.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Well, for those of us who have had scanners from the pre-LS1Edit days, TunerCats is a great addition. I have no experience with the read/write times of other packages, but TunerCats gets the job done in less time than it takes Windows to boot up on my notebook, so that isn't a huge issue for me. But, as far as saying it's difficult to navigate, isn't that a little obtuse? Compared to this year's 1040 instruction booklet, it's a breeze!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fran D
Well, for those of us who have had scanners from the pre-LS1Edit days, TunerCats is a great addition. I have no experience with the read/write times of other packages, but TunerCats gets the job done in less time than it takes Windows to boot up on my notebook, so that isn't a huge issue for me. But, as far as saying it's difficult to navigate, isn't that a little obtuse? Compared to this year's 1040 instruction booklet, it's a breeze!

No kidding.. what it is is a no fluff no BS, we will give you everything we see tuner.

The writer of the software doesn't have a ego problem like some of the others either.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:51 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, I don't agree with that at all!! I love it. It probably needs dumbed down some for beginners. I find the other's brands interface to be a tad cluttered, and tunercat's cleaner. Most pros use a Tech2 as a scanner anway. It is more capable than pc based scanners I have seen. I use Tunercat for everything now. If you know the locations, he also has an editor editor you can buy, so a knowelable tuner can add parameters the other software packages do not give you access to. Don't tell yourself hptuners, or any other tuning software (and I have looked at all the others), actually include all the tables and other parameters. I have added the things I work with, that is not included in other packages, some I have told Tunercat about, most I keep to myself. Besides, they and everybody else now encrypt the files upon saving, which means a tuner has no way of verifying the software is correct. Tunercat files are still straight binary. None have everything correct. I notify Tunercat if & when I find mistakes. I'm a beta tester for him, as I was for LS1edit. All tuning software packages have mistakes in them. I really don't know why a professional tuning shop would buy anything else. More capability and flexability for less money. Couldn't find a nicer, less ego-driven person to work with.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

I ordered tuner cats dispite the mixed reviews I think it isnt any harder to navigate than edit and is much cheaper i allredy have hpt to scan with and any table diferances i will be able to compare with my hpt. Best of all i dont have to upgrade to usb to get cheaper licences and i get to keep my lap top. Maby if i hit the lottery this week i will get all the same modle years for hpt and save my self a little loading time

Quick Reply: Tunercat software?