PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTuner scanning problem, very "jerky" frame rate???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HPTuner scanning problem, very "jerky" frame rate???

When scanning my car tonight I noticed the frames were not incrementing in a linear fashion. It was very jerky. Several frames would pass at normal speed then it would almost stop... followed by several more at a normal speed..

Any ideas????

Old 04-07-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Comms problems are one thing that will do this. I have
seen it especially on very slow hardware and oddly it was
worse at WOT than otherwise (maybe less PCM time to
gab at higher RPM?). I haven't seen this since going to
faster laptops though.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Intel 1.4 Ghz
512 MB ram
Serial interface (EIO) DJ WBC
(no usb adapter)

I have been using this laptop since I purchased HPTuners. This is a new issue...
Old 04-08-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had similar problems with data loss and disconnecting within the last week. Turned out to be the serial cable. $14 from Radio Shack.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SideStep, your laptop seems stout enough you shouldnt have to worry about dropped frames. Try adjusting the serial port speed. It may sync up better on a lower speed even though it seems counter intuitive. Try going in both directions.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got another laptop and tried to just read the PCM... It fails, usually at the "Preparing PCM" part.

I can still scan. With a new laptop and another car (2001 Fbody) I am getting the same "jerky" non linear frame for sampling. I use to get 10 frames a sec all the time... now it goes from 2 to 10 frames a second randomly, BUT never completely disconnects....
Old 04-10-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try unscrewing your cables from the HPT box.. then stick a meter on each pin on both sides.... if they all read good, then flex the cable around some.

i work with serial cables on handheld computers.. sometimes the cables get stretched, and will work intermittently.... example: driver drops handheld with cable and stretches it... works fine inside. works in truck when parked.. but if you start the truck, the vibration makes it cut on and off...
it was very annoying to figure that one out.. lol. i do software for those things, and i thought it was a software glitch at first.

if it turns out to be bad between the box and the laptop, you can get another cable at any good computer store... if its the cable going between the ODBII port and the box, then you'll have to order it online, or email HPtuners...
Old 04-10-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
try unscrewing your cables from the HPT box.. then stick a meter on each pin on both sides.... if they all read good, then flex the cable around some.

i work with serial cables on handheld computers.. sometimes the cables get stretched, and will work intermittently.... example: driver drops handheld with cable and stretches it... works fine inside. works in truck when parked.. but if you start the truck, the vibration makes it cut on and off...
it was very annoying to figure that one out.. lol. i do software for those things, and i thought it was a software glitch at first.

if it turns out to be bad between the box and the laptop, you can get another cable at any good computer store... if its the cable going between the ODBII port and the box, then you'll have to order it online, or email HPtuners...
I have already tried a new serial cable and a new laptop computer....
Old 04-10-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Timeline...

Reload OS on old laptop............................................ ......No Change
Tried new serial cable............................................. ........No Change
Tried new laptop............................................ ...............No Change
Remove PCM, cleaned all connection.................................No Change

Removed battery and tray, inspected wiring harness,
pulled harness around a lot to look for damage
THEN for the hell of it I flipped the black box
with my finger, hard.................................................. ....Working Again

I know I should have tested again after I moved the wiring harness but I was at my wits end and just flipped the black box. I can now read and write to the PCM as normal and I can scan at a constant 10 frames a second again. The "jerky" hitch during logging is gone. Soooo... it is either moving the PCM wiring harness OR the impact of me hitting the black box. I noticed that now while scanning I can recreate the hitch my tapping on the black box...

Where do I go from here? Should I assume black box is flaking out and just upgrade to the new MPVI Pro? OR Assume it was the wiring harness and deal with that when it happens again???

Old 04-10-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SideStep

Timeline...

Reload OS on old laptop............................................ ......No Change
Tried new serial cable............................................. ........No Change
Tried new laptop............................................ ...............No Change
Remove PCM, cleaned all connection.................................No Change

Removed battery and tray, inspected wiring harness,
pulled harness around a lot to look for damage
THEN for the hell of it I flipped the black box
with my finger, hard.................................................. ....Working Again

I know I should have tested again after I moved the wiring harness but I was at my wits end and just flipped the black box. I can now read and write to the PCM as normal and I can scan at a constant 10 frames a second again. The "jerky" hitch during logging is gone. Soooo... it is either moving the PCM wiring harness OR the impact of me hitting the black box. I noticed that now while scanning I can recreate the hitch my tapping on the black box...

Where do I go from here? Should I assume black box is flaking out and just upgrade to the new MPVI Pro? OR Assume it was the wiring harness and deal with that when it happens again???

The new interface is so sexy. And v2.1 is a huge upgrade if youre still stuck on 1.x. Its really up to you though. Talk to HPT and you can probably get a replacement if the cable is really flaking out. Im sure he can do something for you.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
The new interface is so sexy. And v2.1 is a huge upgrade if youre still stuck on 1.x. Its really up to you though. Talk to HPT and you can probably get a replacement if the cable is really flaking out. Im sure he can do something for you.
I have already been in contact with their sales. I would have to send my serial EIO box AND the cables back plus $199 for the MPVI Pro upgrade... So I guess that means I get new cables...

Old 04-10-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes. whole new setup.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

also contact support since you're an existing client to inquire about repairing your cable (unless you want to upgrade to the new version... it is very nice)

Quick Reply: HPTuner scanning problem, very "jerky" frame rate???