Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

really dumb n00b lid question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default really dumb n00b lid question

Hey guys. Um, I have a confession to make. I am really mechanically challenged, LOL. I have a lot of technical knowledge about cars that I have learned from reading books and magazines but when I actually take a wrench into my hands and try to work on a car myself I'm just all thumbs. So I know there will be those who will laugh and make fun of me, go ahead, I don't care what anyone thinks, but anyway...

I was wondering if anyone knows of some really simple instructions for how to install an air lid ONLY. I'd like to try to install an SLP lid myself which I know is idiotically simple for everyone else but it intimidates me. I have read the install instructions on installuniversity.com and on ls1howto.com and they are both installing an MAF as well as the lid in those instructions, so I think the MAF install is overcomplicating the lid install in those write-ups. Because they are installing the MAF at the same time I think they remove more than they have to if you were just doing the lid, right? Those instructions say you have to loosen two band clamps and disconnect 3 sensors, and remove the entire intake assembly from the throttle body forward, including the bellows and the MAF. If I am only putting in the lid, don't I just have to remove only the IA sensor on the lid itself and loosen the frontmost band clamp? Can't I leave the bellows and the MAF still attached to the throttle body? Or do I have to remove all that junk? Thanks for the help
Old 04-09-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can leave the MAF and stock bellow in the car. Just undo the clamp that goes around where the stock lid connects to the MAF and remove the upper half of the stock air lid. Disconnect the IAT first. Then grab the new lid, line up the tabs at the back of the lid while you line up the MAF as well and push on. The front lip of the lid sits INSIDE the lower airbox lip. Clip it back on in the front and voila. 5 Min job.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Thank you so much for not making fun of me yeah that sounds about right, I couldn't understand why they wanted me to remove the bellow and MAF until I realized it was only because they were replacing the MAF...
Old 04-09-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah dont worry....I was only making fun of you in my head
Old 04-09-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevespewterZ
I couldn't understand why they wanted me to remove the bellow and MAF until I realized it was only because they were replacing the MAF...
Also many people have trouble pulling the MAF out of the air box lid. Its easier to heat the neck of the lid and remove the MAF with the whole assembly out of the car.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I've broken a lid trying to get the MAF into a new one. Take your time and good luck.