Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Live

My engine builder, Rapid Motorsports in PA, tuned my new 402 LS2 using EFI Live and would like to provide me with different tunes based on the octane fuel that I'll be using. I'll be moving to CA soon so I won't be able to take my car to him.

I priced EFI Live ScanTune personal edition and the lowest price was still above $600 which is alot to pay for something that I'll use only a few times a year.

First, does anyone know of a reputable tuner in the San Diego area who uses EFI Live?

Second, does anybody have a line on a used or superdiscount version of ScanTune?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Don't know about San Dogg but be leary of people who will try to "Sell" you a Used copy of the software. The software is free. You can down load it free of of their site. Although you might have luck finding a used FlashScan Interface-hardware and buy a single vin license for $99. But if that is just too much then I would just be patient and find a good tuner if you don't want to incur the cost- which money wise isn't really a bad deal for what you get however, if you are too busy take the time to learn how to use the tool then by all means find another tuner.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

heard of HPTuners..... as much as i hate to say it as I'm an EFI LIVE user...but ****.. the damn programs are so damn close to each other
Old 04-10-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

$600 for EFILive is kinda like insurance on your new engine. If you have efilive you'll be sure to use the octane tunes - it's convenient.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,

Welcome to [the hotel] California...

A scan/tune package will be the best money you could spend on your car, no regrets; takes time to climb the learning curve, but there's a lot of help here.

Here in Cal. the highest gas is 91, and it is blended with some knock inducing crap in winter and other severe knock inducing crap in summer, so you'll want to play with your spark table quite a bit;
see what Bink said.

(And your air filter gets a lot of dust and atmospheric 'drop out' stuff in it too).

And you'll definitely want to play with your tune when it's smog test time.

It does sound expensive, but I think you'll be flashing about once a week (I flash about 7 times a week), there are quite a few tables to tweak and tune to your personal taste.

Regards
Joe
Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks !!!!

I really appreciate all of the info gentleman.

I'm going to talk with my tuner to see if he thinks that I can handle the programming myself (with his help) if I purchase EFI Live for myself.

On another related topic. I had pretty much planned on the car not being street legal in CA as it has long tube headers. I understand that no long tubes have CARB approval. Would the car pass emissions if it passed the "sniffer" even with long tubes?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i believe without a carb sticker in cali you will fail...as quoted from someone else your car could spit out pure h2o & they'd fail you if you dont have the proper documentation lol

Last edited by foff667; 04-10-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can get you a price on EFIlive with a wideband if you wish. Just let me know what you want and I will get you setup. Even for retail, it is far better then HPTuners and you will get well worth your money. You shouldn't even consider any tuning program without a wideband. Just like shooting in the dark. Would you work on your car without the right tools? Sure you can but it won't be right.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:35 PM
FormerVendor

Chad,

Did he say LS2 tuned with EFI Live? Or it a LS2 motor with a LS1 PCM....

HT
Old 04-10-2006, 08:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could only assume he's using an ls1 pcm for the swap
Old 04-11-2006, 03:40 AM
Teching In

Yep,

It's an LS1 PCM programmed t work with the LS2 engine

Mike
Old 04-11-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9D9LS
Chad,

Did he say LS2 tuned with EFI Live? Or it a LS2 motor with a LS1 PCM....

HT
LS2 motor. BTW Howard, you will need to remove your sig unless you are a sponsor. They are strict about that over here.