PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i dont understand why

Old 04-11-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i dont understand why

ok so after getting my car back from the shop and getting tuned with the cam in my sig and everything else in my sig .when i start my car it wont stay running unless i give it gas and hold it at like 1500 rpm for about 20 seconds then i let off the gas and it will idle , otherwise it will die. well after checking some coonections under the hood while it was running for some reason i disconnected the pcv valve tip the goes to the intake manifold (other end is to the pcv on the valley cover).all of a sudden it idled a lot better. so i turned off my car connected that line back and tried to start car and same thing it just dies. so i disconnected the line again and tried to start it that way. and to my suprise it started right up and went right to idle. why does this happen and why doesnt the car idle when this line is connected as opposed to when it is not connected ? any thoughts and opinions?
thanks guys
Old 04-11-2006, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

I have to give mine gas on start up too but then it idles fine. It's an f14 so close to the same specs. I'm not sure why yours seems to idle better with the pcv unplugged. After mine warms up, it will start on one crank. Maybe it was just coincidence? If getting rid of the pcv helps it start better, I'm ripping mine out and putting on a breather. I'm interested what others have to say.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

base running airflow or crack the throttle blade??? my car starts right up with stock ls1 PVC...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its all in your tune. The engine isn't getting enough airflow to start up. Thats why when you unplug the PCV it cranks fine, its letting more air in. You can either adjust your set screw on your throttle body to hold the blade open alil more. Or go back and have the tuner adjust the airflow corrections for start up.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine starts up fine but then there are a few times when I put it in reverse and back out it will start to surge and die.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28
Its all in your tune. The engine isn't getting enough airflow to start up. Thats why when you unplug the PCV it cranks fine, its letting more air in. You can either adjust your set screw on your throttle body to hold the blade open alil more. Or go back and have the tuner adjust the airflow corrections for start up.

My F14 112 cranks up like stock and idles perfect even when its freezing ***** outside. I have the stock size hole in the TB blade, and the stock PCV system (with catch can). When Chuck from HPE got done with my car, it started up and idled perfect on the dyno. I got in it to leave the shop and it went to ****. Drove it down the road and drove right back. He tweaked some more and now it's perfect. It sits at about 1500rpms when i'm rolling to a stop, then settles once i'm stopped and lopes. I've got the best of both worlds lol.

You unplugging the PCV hose is like drilling a huge hole in the TB.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need to find another tuner...
Old 04-14-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who tuned your car?!? If you went to Livernois, that sucks. When I took my car to get tuned they couldn't tune it and told me it was my cam, not refunding my money btw....lo and behold, I get my own software/LC-1 and tuned my car myself learning from scratch, now it runs just fine. I'm in the Ann Arbor Area, I might be to help you out, just send me a PM.

Best Regards,
Adrian
Old 04-14-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you discussed this with your tuner and given them a chance to make it right? The best tuner in the world will not get it right the first time every time, especially when you're dealing with always different custom combos.

Search this Thread