Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird problem with LC-1 and HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem with LC-1 and HP Tuners

So I've been trying to get my LC-1 working with HP Tuners. My wiring is as follows:

Red: 12v Switched
Blue: Grounded w/ battery ground
Yellow: Unused and taped up
Green: Grounded at EIO (HP Tuners)
White: Grounded at EIO
Black: Grounded at EIO (run through LED and push button switch)
Brown: EIO Input

With the HP Tuners module connected to the OBDII port (grounding everything through the PCM to the engine block) I get the Error 08 every time. Here's the stranger thing:

If I remove the HP Tuners module and leave the green, white, and black wires connected to themsleves in the EIO plug the LC-1 works fine (using LogWorks not HP Tuners) and I don't get the error. If the module isn't connected to the OBDII port aren't the analog, system and calibration wires ungrounded? Why does this work?

I'm wondering if I can just connect the Brown wire to HP Tuners and leave the White, Green, and Black as they are? I've never seen any documentation of wiring like this and it shouldn't be necessary, but I don't know what else to try. Any ideas?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which pin are you putting them to on the HPT cable? (pin 5 if MPVI?)

I have mine setup just like this and no problems (only difference is I connected the main power and ground wires to a cigarette lighter adapter, I start the car, then plug the LC1 power in... so I'm not applying power during cranking when there's a large voltage drain to the starter)
Old 04-15-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
which pin are you putting them to on the HPT cable? (pin 5 if MPVI?)

I have mine setup just like this and no problems (only difference is I connected the main power and ground wires to a cigarette lighter adapter, I start the car, then plug the LC1 power in... so I'm not applying power during cranking when there's a large voltage drain to the starter)
Right, I have the white, green, and black wires going into pin #5 and the brown wire going into pin #1
Old 04-15-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try powering the LC1 after he car's running? (I'm an LM1 convert.... start car.... then power on wideband)