PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VE table tuning above 4k rpm

Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VE table tuning above 4k rpm

I'm keeping my MAF. Some people say you "don't need" to tune above 4k if you do. But, if you're calibrating your MAF above 4k based on your "dynamic airflow" I'd think you'd HAVE to tune your VE table above 4k.

This is how I'm setup to do it so far, but, I'm not getting any histogram readings above 35 MAP.

Set MAF fail frequency to 0
Copy High octane table to low octane table
Set P101, 102, 103 to MIL at first error
Set DFCO enable to 284 degrees F
Set OLFA table to 1.0 in 160-240 temperatures or so
Set PE enable TPS % to 75 (so I can get some readings above 4k)
Turn off LTFTs
Turn off COT

Log STFT histogram. Set filter in histogram to [SENS.121] > 14 (this won't log histogram cells that are in PE mode)

Other than completely disabling PE, is there a way to log above 35 MAP with a 14.63 A/F commanded safely?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a wideband? if so, you can set OLFA table to a safe AFR (13.0:1 or so) for the higher loads/RPMs, then disable PE completely (or set it to 1.00 all the way, PCM will use the richer of the OLFA and PE)

If you don't have a wideband, be careful when doing the higher load high RPM tuning ... 14.6 is too lean when you hit the high load cells
Old 04-24-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i set OLFA to 1.00, PE to what i want
Old 04-24-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
Other than completely disabling PE, is there a way to log above 35 MAP with a 14.63 A/F commanded safely?
I was told on numerous occassions that you can do it, you just have to stay within the limiters in your throttle position enabler at different RPM ranges. I've tried several times, but my kung fu was too weak. I ended up going with a wideband, it wasn't worth the stress of trying to do it without one.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

I've been told that if you "desensitze" your PE, it can be done.

Set TPS % at like 90% for PE to kick in, and PE enable MAP at like 90. That way at 90% throttle, PE will kick in.

I guess you could be safer and make the limits 75% and 75 MAP, or less.

I want to be safe, but I also want to tune correctly.

I don't have a wideband. If I did, I wouldn't need to mess with PE and trims to tune the VE table.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ttt...
Old 04-25-2006, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

FWIW, I just did a log with the above parameters (except PE tps at 80% and PE enable MAP at 80)

It seemed to work extremely well.

I did the log pulsing the gas in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears above 4k rpms to hit each cell as many times as possible. I did the filter in the histogram to only log point that commanded A/F (high res) was > 14. (of course you have to log commanded A/F).

What's interesting is that my data point for above 4400 rpm all stop right a 80 MAP. Seems to work. I'll just hand smooth above 80 map using trends.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, I just did a log with the above parameters (except PE tps at 80% and PE enable MAP at 80)

It seemed to work extremely well.

I did the log pulsing the gas in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears above 4k rpms to hit each cell as many times as possible. I did the filter in the histogram to only log point that commanded A/F (high res) was > 14. (of course you have to log commanded A/F).

What's interesting is that my data point for above 4400 rpm all stop right a 80 MAP. Seems to work. I'll just hand smooth above 80 map using trends.
Should this be used when calibrating the maf?

and please give me the config and histo that you use

Last edited by D_Run; 04-25-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

What Is Olfa??????? I Kno Im A Newbe
Old 04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

OLFA = Open Loop Fuel Adder, table that controls open loop fueling
Old 04-25-2006, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by D_Run
Should this be used when calibrating the maf?

and please give me the config and histo that you use
This is the step prior to calibrating the MAF. Tuning the VE table.

After this is done, then you relearn your LTFTs with MAF still disabled. Then log Maf frequency and dynamic airflow to get your new MAF table.

I used the default imperial config.

Deleted njector pulse in table view.

Inserted Commanded A/F high res

For the histogram, I went into "configure histograms" for the STFT histogram. In "filter" type [SENS.121] > 14 This means that only points where your "commanded air fuel" ratio is greater than 14 will be counted in the histogram. So, basically when PE isn't running.

If it counted cells when PE was enabled, it'd mess up your averages.

Then, I logged for about 30 minutes, and used the average STFT histogram cells and copy, paste special, multiply by % into your VE table.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
What Is Olfa??????? I Kno Im A Newbe
It's a table that your car will default to if PE doesn't kick in, or if PE is too lean. The computer picks the richer of the two.

So, if you disable PE, you have to disable the OLFA table as well to keep your computer at a 14.63 A/F ratio. You do this so the STFTs still calculate.

In PE mode, the fuel trims are zero.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

This is the step prior to calibrating the MAF. Tuning the VE table.

After this is done, then you relearn your LTFTs with MAF still disabled. Then log Maf frequency and dynamic airflow to get your new MAF table.

I used the default imperial config.

Deleted njector pulse in table view.

Inserted Commanded A/F high res

For the histogram, I went into "configure histograms" for the STFT histogram. In "filter" type [SENS.121] > 14 This means that only points where your "commanded air fuel" ratio is greater than 14 will be counted in the histogram. So, basically when PE isn't running.

If it counted cells when PE was enabled, it'd mess up your averages.

Then, I logged for about 30 minutes, and used the average STFT histogram cells and copy, paste special, multiply by % into your VE table.

THIS IS DONE W/ A WIDEBAND 02????
IF I SET THAT FILTER THEN THAT MEANS I DONT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING W/ THE OLFA & THE PE TABLES RIGHT?(THE PCM WILL STILL GO INTO PE THEREFORE NOT HURTING THE ENGINE, AND HPT SOFTWARE WILL FILTER OUT THE PE OR OLFA,)
IS THIS A GOOD WAY TO DO IT W/ THE WIDEBAND???
Old 04-25-2006, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

THIS IS DONE W/ A WIDEBAND 02????
IF I SET THAT FILTER THEN THAT MEANS I DONT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING W/ THE OLFA & THE PE TABLES RIGHT?(THE PCM WILL STILL GO INTO PE THEREFORE NOT HURTING THE ENGINE, AND HPT SOFTWARE WILL FILTER OUT THE PE OR OLFA,)
IS THIS A GOOD WAY TO DO IT W/ THE WIDEBAND???
I don't have a wideband. If you have one, the procedure is a little different. This is for tuning using STFTs, without a wideband.

If you set the filter, yes HPT will filter out when you're using PE or OLFA.

But, that also means that you won't get any STFT DATA above 4k rpms.

In order to get fuel trim data above 20 map and 4k rpms, you have to disable PE and OLFA.

But, If you have a wideband, you just have to compare the error between COMMANDED airfuel and ACTUAL (measured by wideband) airfuel.

So, technically, you wouldn't have to touch the OLFA or PE.

It's all about simplifying things to tune though. The less variables you have, the easier it is to tune.

The only thing that makes we wonder about my method of tuning is this....

What difference does it make if my VE table is off a 20-80 MAP for 5-6500 rpms?? I'm NEVER in those cells with normal driving. If I'm at 5k+, I'm typically at 95-100 MAP. Then again, I'm using those numbers to hand smooth the 80+ MAP numbers.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have a wideband. If you have one, the procedure is a little different. This is for tuning using STFTs, without a wideband.

If you set the filter, yes HPT will filter out when you're using PE or OLFA.

But, that also means that you won't get any STFT DATA above 4k rpms.

In order to get fuel trim data above 20 map and 4k rpms, you have to disable PE and OLFA.

But, If you have a wideband, you just have to compare the error between COMMANDED airfuel and ACTUAL (measured by wideband) airfuel.

So, technically, you wouldn't have to touch the OLFA or PE.

It's all about simplifying things to tune though. The less variables you have, the easier it is to tune.

The only thing that makes we wonder about my method of tuning is this....

What difference does it make if my VE table is off a 20-80 MAP for 5-6500 rpms?? I'm NEVER in those cells with normal driving. If I'm at 5k+, I'm typically at 95-100 MAP. Then again, I'm using those numbers to hand smooth the 80+ MAP numbers.
SO COMMANDED AFR IS= STOICH+(PE OR OLFA)?????
OR IS IT JUST STOICH?
TO DO A TUNE W/ A WIDEBAND DO I STILL NEED TO SET THE PE TO 1.00 AND THE OLFA TO 1.00 AND JUST CHANGE STOICH TO 13.0:1?
IM NEW TO TUNNING WITH THE WIDEBAND

Last edited by mcamarols1; 04-26-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

SO COMMANDED AFR IS= STOICH+(PE OR OLFA)?????
OR IS IT JUST STOICH?
TO DO A TUNE W/ A WIDEBAND DO I STILL NEED TO SET THE PE TO 1.00 AND THE OLFA TO 1.00 AND JUST CHANGE STOICH TO 13.0:1?
IM NEW TO TUNNING WITH THE WIDEBAND
It depends. Commanded will be whatever your computer is commanding at the time. For part throttle, it's stoich. For full throttle, it's stoich plus PE.

Don't change stoich.

For wideband VE tuning, search "speed density" in the help section of your HP tuners scanner. It explains everything.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

this is what i have understood from all this:
to tune w/ a wideband:
set the vcm to SD mode(just like doing it w/ LTFT's & STFT's)change spark & maf fail freq. ect., then......

for wideband, Disable (COT,DFCO,LTFT's,STFT's,), set the OLFA to 1.00 for all operating temps, and set PE to 1.17 all across the table (12.5AFR WOT), i also set the PE enable to like 75%TPS, 75map so that it wont interfere while im doing my part throttle tune

now i go into my scanner and load up the eio input for the LC-1 wideband, i delete the fuel injector duty 1&2, insert commanded AFR hi res, change one of the histo's to LC-1 config, log AFR error, log MAF-AFR error.

is there anything im missing that i need to tune my car for part throttle?
also after i get my VE right, i can do my WOT with these settings loaded on the vcm?

please correct me if im wrong. THANX

Search this Thread