PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES light problem/o2 sensors?????? WTF!!

Old 04-24-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES light problem/o2 sensors?????? WTF!!

Well After getting my car tuned on Friday all of the codes were cleared and my SES light went away. On the way home about 15 miles down the road the SES light came back on. I figured, "oh well" I'll just have my tuner look at it again when I go back up there today when they fix my y-pipe banging the underside of the car.

When I bring the car up there today one guy scans the codes and says that the front o2 sensors are fried. He tells the main tuner there at the shop to come look at them when he is finished with another car he was working on at the time. So I'm ready to get them replaced then. So the main tuner guy that tuned my car the first time, come over and pluggs in the HP tuners program and it shows that everything is running fine (I even looked at the graphs and tables on his laptop while the car was running and everything was running just fine) So he said that maybe the other guy just read the codes wrong (But the SES light was on, I know it was because I sat there and watched the first guy read the codes). Anyways, the main tuner made some adjustments. Then, just to make sure and he wanted to make sure everything was running fine so we left the car running in the parking lot for about 10 minutes. We checked it periodically and no SES light ever came on. So at this point I figured that it was nothing and or it was now fixed.

Welllllllllll....on the way home about 10-20 miles down the highway the damn SES light came back on!!!! So I'm stumped, could the o2 sensors be going bad, they just work for a little while and then they start crapping out after a while... then sart working properly again..and so on??? What do you guys think is the problem. Should I just get some new o2 sensors..the car does have almost 97k miles on it. should I go ahead and replace them or what????
Old 04-24-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they tell you what exact codes were shown? FWIW, some of the O2 codes have engine rpm and airflow requirements that must be met before the DTC will set. That could be why it didn't show in the parking lot at idle. With almost 97k on your O2s, count yourself lucky that you got that much use out of them. It may be time to replace them.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I might go aheaad and replace them.

Search this Thread