Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

silly wideband question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default silly wideband question...

mmk, well i wired up my wideband tonight... however, i live in a apartment complex, and a open exhaust car at 9pm is somewhat frowned upon..

so i hooked up my wideband to the serial output, and watched the output in the Hptuners scanner and on the voltmeter.

i dont have a propane bottle, and i couldnt put the sensor in the car yet....but of course i want to see the output move... so i uhh.. blew on it.

on the serial output, i could move the AFR from 20.7 to 18.. sometimes below 16.

the voltage output never changed.

i tried changing the voltage output and switch point... at one point i had it putting out 5V at 20.5 and up, and 0 from 20.0 and lower.... the voltage just stayed at 5V steady....

so heres my silly wideband question... why can it pickup a AFR change and show it in logworks (serial output) but not show any change in voltage output??
Old 04-26-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The voltage output should vary as a percentage of the AFR...5Vs is like 22AFR.....Also your breath is about 16 or 17% O2 so it will defintely make the sensor move, assuming you "cup" it with your hands. Damn that didnt sound too good.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
The voltage output should vary as a percentage of the AFR...5Vs is like 22AFR.....Also your breath is about 16 or 17% O2 so it will defintely make the sensor move, assuming you "cup" it with your hands. Damn that didnt sound too good.

lol, yea. not good.

seriously though, what could make it not change the voltage output, but show in the serial output??
Old 04-26-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
lol, yea. not good.

seriously though, what could make it not change the voltage output, but show in the serial output??
Fried DAC, or you are reading the wrong outputs...there are 2.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
i dont have a propane bottle, and i couldnt put the sensor in the car yet....but of course i want to see the output move... so i uhh.. blew on it.
Next time do what I do, I use a couple matches or lighter (like for BBQs) to extinguish the oxygen around the W/B O2. It works very well and the sensor will peg at 10:1 AFR, then you can also see the voltage at the opposite side of the range.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by muncie21
Fried DAC, or you are reading the wrong outputs...there are 2.

i know im reading the correct one, because if i set it to max at 2.5 volts, i read 2.50 in the scanner (no voltage drop... yay.) whatever i set it to max at, it shows.

i hope its not fried... its brand new!

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Next time do what I do, I use a couple matches or lighter (like for BBQs) to extinguish the oxygen around the W/B O2. It works very well and the sensor will peg at 10:1 AFR, then you can also see the voltage at the opposite side of the range.
yea, im going to pickup a lighter on the way home.. i dont smoke, dont have candles...ect... the only lighter i own is one i used for heatshrink, but its empty now.
i know that sounds funny as heck.. blowing on a O2 sensor... but it worked...
Old 04-26-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can read the correct AFR from the serial connector, but not the analog output, you may have a fried digital to analog convertor (DAC) chip. Here are a couple of things to try in the meantime.
--Do a heater calibration. Basically unplug the O2 sensor from the Innovate electronics and power up the Innovate for at least 10 seconds. Shut it off, connect the O2 and power up again. If you've hooked up the LED it should blink at this point.
--After the heater cal, do a free air calibration. With the unit powered up, ground the calibration (black) wire momentarily. After this you should be reading about 20.8. With the factory high limit (5v=22 AFR) programmed, you should be reading 4.x volts.
--Check for a ground offset. Set the low and high limits to the same value. i.e. 4.5 volts and read the analog output. Hopefully it's changing at this point. The difference between commanded output and your reading is the ground offset. You may want to check these at a couple of points (1, 2.5, 5).

I'm assuming that you have double-checked all the grounds. They make a big difference.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, you run a 16:1 air:bad breath ratio? Youre gonna melt something!