Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie questions about HPTuners

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions about HPTuners

Don't really know anything about tuning (yet) and haven't bought HPTuners (yet) but in the UK we have to have our cars emissions tested every year. Is it possible to keep two PCM "files" (maps?) on my laptop - one for performance, one for low emissions, for example? Does flashing new files take long? I'm thinking of removing my cats to give a freer exhaust, but I've heard that this can make the engine run pretty rough - can HPTuners solve this problem?

Also, do I have to decide what cars to support when I order, or can I just have one for now and activate another one in the future?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes you can...reflashes take ~25 seconds on most laptops. Removing cats should have no negative impact on how your car drives or idles that is a myth. You activate your "credits" once you get your unit & hook up to a car for the first time to read the stock file...it will prompt you exactly how you would like to license it..ie vin or year lock.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great. A friend of mine did remove his cats and said it made the engine run very oddly, but I wasn't there to witness it. Surely removing them reduces back pressure on the engine which must alter the running?

I see that 6 credits buys you the year, and 2 credits buys you a VIN#... this software had better be worth it!!