Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what AFR? w/o PE or OLFA

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default what AFR? w/o PE or OLFA

ok, im under the impression in SD to tune w/ a wideband you have the PE and PLFA off, right? then continue to tune it to 14.7, now is this 14.7 everywhere? or where in the rpm/TPS band do i want it to richen up and to what?
or........tune it to 14.6 the entire rpm band, then enable PE and OLFA and it will richen it up in WOT to the correct 11:1 or what ever it should be? what should it be at WOT?

thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OLFA is the base reference multiplier for fueling functions. The VE is backup airflow model to coordinate fuel calculations. They are the last line before your computer has no idea what to do, they are always "on"

The idea is to manipulate the airflow model to support commanded a/f ratio, as that is what the function of an EFI system is, command ---> produce. When this simplistic concept is not satisfied, it's what we call a bad tune. Study up, there's lots of info on this one.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

still not an answer to my questions. For tuning the initial AFR ?? just for this do I leave them off. Ive read some post where people set the PE to 1.00
also how do I find out what the WOT AFR should be?

If the car is running 16:1 at 4000 and the PE is 1.00, then i add 1.25 that would bring it to 12.8 right? So I have to get the car to 14.7 through out the whole rpm band FIRST, then set the PE table to the proper number to get ???? is it 12.25 ??
Old 04-26-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
still not an answer to my questions. For tuning the initial AFR ?? just for this do I leave them off. Ive read some post where people set the PE to 1.00
also how do I find out what the WOT AFR should be?

If the car is running 16:1 at 4000 and the PE is 1.00, then i add 1.25 that would bring it to 12.8 right? So I have to get the car to 14.7 through out the whole rpm band FIRST, then set the PE table to the proper number to get ???? is it 12.25 ??
Never tune high load / high rpm cells w/o PE or OLFA adding fuel!

Your final AFR will depend on what your engine "likes", not really the same for everybody. For initial tuning, I set PE to my target AFR whether that be 12.5, 12.8, or 13 for a given rpm. I generally start a little conservative and then sneak up on the best lean AFR for my target max timing. Then set OLFA to 1.00 for all ECT ranges I will be in after the car has warmed up. Now you can go out and adjust the VE table to meet your target AFR for all rpms. Setting OLFA to 1.00 ensures that your commanded AFR will be either stoich or whatever your PE table is commanding (assuming cot and dfco are also off). It also helps to log Eq Ratio (or Fuel Air Multiplier) to make sure there aren't any other tables adding or pulling fuel.

Also, the values in the PE table are divided into stoich. Take 14.63 (or whatever commanded stoich is for your car) and divide it by the PE value to get your equivalent AFR. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

1st misconception....you can't turn the OLFA table off nor do you want to. You can however change the AFR they command. The way I choose to do it is to command the same AFR in the PE table that is commanded in the OLFA table. Pick something safe to start (like 12.0 or 12.5) and set it for all MAP kPa's above 150*F in the OLFA table and all cells in the PE table. Once the car is up to full operating temps, log your WBO2 AFR for every possible driving scenario (high/low loads, high/low rpms, WOT, etc.) and get enough cell hits to make sense of the data. Then, take the % error of what the wideband read and what you commanded and apply it to your VE table (backup VE for pre-'01 cars).

For example and example only (don't command such a rich mixture), say you command 10.0 across the board and your WB reads 9.0 in some cells. 9.0/10.0 = 90%, so multiply those cells by 90% effectively decreasing the VE 10% because that cell was rich vs. what was commanded. Make sense?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Basically your VE table, OLFA table, and PE table all affect COMMANDED a/f.

With the wideband, you want to make sure that commanded a/f is equal to actual a/f (or close to it).

Some people set the OLFA table to 1.0 in the warmed up regions to simplify things (so the car is only using PE and VE).

You can also set PE to a single number across the board, like 1.15 to keep things simple as well.

Then log, change, log, change, log, change..... till you're close.

Then recalibrate the MAF, or don't (if you're not keeping it).
Old 04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

ok ive been messing w/ it for the past few hours. I dont have the enhanced HP tuners. Ive been slowly fluctuating the RPMs and tuning it bit by bit by what the wideband reads. first i put PE to 1.00 tuned VE table to 14.5-14.8 up to 4000 rpms, which it was pretty good anyway except just off idle.
then i Put PE back to stock and tuned the VE 4000 on up by it. I couldnt get it much leaner than 10.2 so i left it. I then re-enabled the MAF and found my car was running 10.0:1 ...wow pretty rich. I multiplied the MAF from 3800-up by .95 untill I got it to around 12.2-12.4 (which i guessed it should be) and it seems to run alot better. I'll see how it runs in for the next couple days and maybe lean it out more if need be.

But for basically stock except a 224/230 .581/.570 112 cam and headers. I ran last year 12.5 @ 113 w/ 1.99 60ft. (M6) thats w/ the A/F at 10.0:1
hopefully it runs better now i tuned it with a wideband.

thanks for the info.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Did you turn off Cat. Overtemp Protection? You shouldn't be decreasing your VE at WOT....especially with a cam like that.

Quick Reply: what AFR? w/o PE or OLFA