Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPP+ and 10% Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 05:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HPP+ and 10% Ethanol

Anybody out there using a Power Programmer Plus on a 96-97 LT1 with Power tuning for premium fuel, and using gas with 10% ethanol? Are there issues with this combo? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone? I'm seeing more stations converting to 10% ethanol fuels everyday. I hope I won't be doing something wrong by using e10 (10% ethanol) in my car while using the HPP+ power tuning for premium fuel. Of course I'll fill up with 93 every time.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to, GM has designed it to run on E10. The octane is still the same, it hasn't changed.

BUT....If you REALLY want to tweak anything for it, (you don't NEED to, the PCM has tons of bandwidth in there for it, it won't trigger a code until around 160 BLM) you can recalculate the BLM's and offset the Injector Constant. As for will a HPP+ do it? Don't know.

Take the lower of BLM(LTFT) or 128 read / higher of BLM(LTFT) or 128 * current injector constant. This will give you the new value that is closer to what is dead center of the spec for the BLM/LTFT.

For example, when I first started running E85, my BLM's were running 180. I took 128/180*24.87=17.685. Punch that in, and drive, watching BLM's. If they are centered on 128 +/- 5, I would leave it alone. If you REALLY wanna play go for it. I got mine on E85 down to 18.2 and it is almost perfect on 128, with a low on 122 and a high of 133.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs down Hypertech says no tests done on ethanol blend fuel

Here's the email response back from Hypertech:

"We have not tested nor tuned for the ethanol blend fuels. The engine will more than likely ping/detonate if used with our tuning"

I guess I've enjoyed the power tuning while it lasted.....time to return to stock tuning (just the power tune, I'll still use the earlier fan settings as well as higher rev limit and firmer shifts).
Old 05-02-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I reprogrammed the power tuning program with the following new options:

1. Stock engine tuning (previously chose power tuning)
2. 6000 RPM Limiter
3. 160* Powerstat
4. Increased shift firmness (night and day difference here!)

That should put an end to my paranoia of ethanol. The car seemed to respond the same with the stock engine tuning vs hypertech's engine power tuning. Only other mods are the Moroso CAI w/airfoil, 160* powerstat, and a Spintech muffler. On the other hand, I've heard that Hypertech's engine power tune does not do much, if any, and I also heard it can hurt performance?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Teching In

I used to have a HPP3 and when I put the power tuning in with the 10% ethanol gas, it started to ping real bad under load, so i removed it
Old 05-05-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

I definitely did not notice a difference SOTP between stock and hypertech tuning. Filled up with 10% and after about 8 miles on ethanol-blend, I floored it. Seemed a bit snappier? Or is it my imagination? Or is the stock tune for LT1's better than Hypertech's?

Still have hypertech installed but without power tuning. I reprogrammed for stock tuning, 6000 redline, 160* stat, and firmer shifts for the auto tranny (this is a true "night and day" difference)
Old 05-12-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Harder starts with E10, I think. Used to take 1/2 second when I turn the key, now it takes almost a full second to start. Still runs great, and it idles great. I'm in NJ, did all gas stations switch to E10? I noticed the signs at BP (which I always use) and Sunoco stations. Did Exxon not switch as I did not see the 10% ethanol label? Or did everyone switch and some stations don't have the 10% ethanol label? Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

I am getting somewhat harder starts on E85 also. I haven't got into tweaking that one yet. I suspect it is fuel related, but need to get my gauge back. I have noticed if I leave the key on long enough to get the full prime instead of just turning the key after I put it in, the cold starting is improved.

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
Harder starts with E10, I think. Used to take 1/2 second when I turn the key, now it takes almost a full second to start. Still runs great, and it idles great. I'm in NJ, did all gas stations switch to E10? I noticed the signs at BP (which I always use) and Sunoco stations. Did Exxon not switch as I did not see the 10% ethanol label? Or did everyone switch and some stations don't have the 10% ethanol label? Thanks
Old 05-20-2006, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Im also in jersey the only stations that i see that are displaying the 10% ethanol is hess. What stations are you using i am in central nj
Old 05-22-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

I tried resetting my computer just now by pulling the PCM BATT fuse, figuring it has a chance to start over in getting used to E10. After replacing the fuse, I turned the key and the prime sounded kinda mechanical? I mean, it sounded like stripped gears for a split second. I turned the key off, then turned it back on, and the prime sounded normal.

Does anyone else occasionally experience a more mechanical sound along with the buzz?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i usually get a click click zzzzzzzzzz upon key turn. click click from up front(no clue where) and of course the zzzzzz pump out back
i have good wot but low end is little bad.... I JUST NOW REALISED THAT NOT EVERYONE IS USING %10 ETHONAL WTF!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

**** E10! unless the PCM has been specifically tuned for it, F it in the A-hole.
Germany made the move last year that E10 will be the standard in all fuels and it absolutly sucks. Putting arounnd its fine but WOT my car falls flat on its face. Occasionally it will actually idle horrible when i tryed it. My car HATEs it. I hate it. I stuck to Superplus, pretty much equivalant of Preimium in the states. less ethanol and higher octane.
The Shell stations here have the 100 octane "race-fuel" with 0-5%ethonal depending on station (96 in the states) and 98 Super plus 0-5% ethanol (94 in the states). everything else has is considerred E10.
When i got to the ring, im going to try and find actual RACE FUEL for that.
the US uses AKI while europe uses RON for rating octane.

but yeah, f*%!!!!! E10. sucks on milage and power. litterlly fill up twice as often on the same tank of gas.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
**** E10! unless the PCM has been specifically tuned for it, F it in the A-hole.
Germany made the move last year that E10 will be the standard in all fuels and it absolutly sucks. Putting arounnd its fine but WOT my car falls flat on its face. Occasionally it will actually idle horrible when i tryed it. My car HATEs it. I hate it. I stuck to Superplus, pretty much equivalant of Preimium in the states. less ethanol and higher octane.
The Shell stations here have the 100 octane "race-fuel" with 0-5%ethonal depending on station (96 in the states) and 98 Super plus 0-5% ethanol (94 in the states). everything else has is considerred E10.
When i got to the ring, im going to try and find actual RACE FUEL for that.
the US uses AKI while europe uses RON for rating octane.

but yeah, f*%!!!!! E10. sucks on milage and power. litterlly fill up twice as often on the same tank of gas.
Thanks for digging up a thread from 2006 and sharing that.