Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hanging idle only after WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hanging idle only after WOT?

This is a pretty wierd problem tha I really can't explain. It basically involves a hanging idle after going WOT.

The car idled fine when I first started it up, and it seemed like everthing was normal. After going WOT, the rest of my (15 minute) drive home the idle hung around 1300-1400 RPM. After shutting th car off I went out to see if it would do it again or if it was a fluke. Well, it did it again. So I parked the car since I didn't have time to mess with it. I went back out later in the evening with the laptop to see what was up, but it wouldn't do it again.

Is there anything relating to temps that could cause this? The only thing that changed was air temps, so I can't help but think its related. My car is a 98 running in SD.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like might be in the throttle cracker and the desired idle speed being to close to the maximum idle RPM.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

did you zero out any decay rates?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

no sir. Just moved the numbers around until I was happy. There is a fine line between stalling, perfect, and hanging. Be patient with it.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
no sir. Just moved the numbers around until I was happy. There is a fine line between stalling, perfect, and hanging. Be patient with it.
lol...I was asking him...
Old 05-09-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Sounds like might be in the throttle cracker and the desired idle speed being to close to the maximum idle RPM.
Desired Idle speed was at 900, so that shouldn't be it. Throttle cracker table was around .50 or so in the cells where it was hanging (while rolling >1mph of course)

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
did you zero out any decay rates?
Nope, no decay rates have been zeroed out.

I spent about 30 minutes screwing around with it last night trying to make it do it again, and I still couldn't recreate the problem. I guess at this point I'll consider it a fluke, but I hope it does it again so I can figure out wtf was going on with it.