PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2's "not ready" on emmissions test.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default O2's "not ready" on emmissions test.

Hey guys, I just failed emmissions for my O2's being "not ready".
I drive a 1996 TA. This is the first time I have to pass the emmissions
dyno test. What would cause the O2's to not be ready to read?
The guy doing the test said to drive the car 50 strait miles, since
I had disconnected my battery recently, and then they could read
the O2's. Is this true? Even on past emmissions tests, my O2's
have always read "not ready". The sensors only have a few 1000
miles on them, so they are good. I need to find out what's wrong
soon or I'll have to pay for the test again. I have no check engine
light on by the way.

thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy is right. If you disconnect the battery and reconnect, your sensors will be in the "not ready" state. I failed last year for the same reason, but I did not go on the dyno. I had the full OBDII test. After a few driving cycles I went back and passed. I think you're allowed to have 2 sensors not ready. Anything more and you fail, whether you have a check engine light or not.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had 2 "not ready"s for the O2's and 1 for the EGR. I have the EGR set at a higher mph than the stock setting, but most guys with a tune do, so I am not sure if this
is due to the recent battery swap too. I guess in your case it was, so perhaps in mine it is too. The funny thing is, I have never had the O2's read on an OBD2 test yet,
but my check engine light is off. Would it read "not ready" if the back O2's were turned off, or would it show they were not working? I can't remember if mine are
shut off or not, with the tune for the LT4 Hot cam.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on a 00 and older previous years you can have 2 not ready codes.

on 01 and higher(newers cars such as 02 03 04...) you can only have 1 not ready codes

been through this and had to put the damn air pump back on to pass as it was already 4 months late.

working with a tune now to see if it will test....which i can see in efi live..and i will be letting others know soon. PEOPLE HAVE GOTTEN AROUND IT

you have to drive a while after you tune or what not for it to be 'ready' again
Old 05-10-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

The tune has been on the car for years. I also did every kind of driving I could think
of, even going 50 miles, without shutting the car off, and the O2's and Egr still read
"not ready". They have not been programmed out of my tune, and my check engine
light is not on. Could there be something wrong with the O2's and the light not be
on?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had the same thing happen to me. I have the HPP3 programer and I removed the POS tune before I went for emmissions and all my sensors were not ready. Took it for a 100 mile drive, was a nice sunny day for it. Passed the next day.

I think removing the tune is the same as disconnecting the battery. Take her for another drive. I think by the time I made it to the test station I had aproz 125 miles after the computer was reset.

P.S they gave me my money back and told me to come back after I put some miles on her. Not sure what state you are in or if the guy I was dealing with was just cool. First cool guy ive met that works for the state.

Last edited by wws699; 05-10-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

There must be something wrong with my O2's. The car has been driven a lot since the battery change, and the ECU program has been there for years. After rebuilding the motor, I got the car programmed. The O2's were not working at the time. They were setting off the SES light. I took it to a local shop who got the SES light to go off and said I'd pass emmissions. I assumed with the SES light off everything was O.K., until I tried to get it inspected this week. I do not know what they did to get the light off, but it is still as if the O2's are not even on the car, at least 2 of them.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Driven alot? Your first post said you recently disconected your battery? Maybe I read it wrong. How many miles have you driven since the battery was disconnected?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:58 AM
KVU
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your front O2 sensor codes have been deleted then unplug the sensors and see what happens...
Old 05-12-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I passed inspection with no AIR, no O2 sensors, no evap, etc... AND a broken piston. If you have access to the tuning software, set the DTC's for the not ready tests to Type X, and they will immediately go to Ready status on startup.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have driven about 300 miles since the battery was disconnected. I will see what happenes unplugging the O2's and making sure they are wired up right. To the scanner it looks like they do not exist. I don't have access to tuning software to set anything.
The car never gets out of open loop. ???