Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket leaking?

Old 05-14-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head gasket leaking?

Here are some symptoms...

One minute after I start my engine cold, the right tail pipe starts spewing what appears to be condensation. The left tail pipe will follow suit about two minutes later, and not as much.

LTFT's on decel are lean on the right bank by 10% points, close evrywhere else.

Overflow tank lost about 1/4" of coolant in several hundred miles.

I just recently put new lifters in my car so I had the heads off. I was very careful to ensure clean surfaces on reassembly. I checked the heads for warpage and couldn't detect any. I used ARP head studs and applied the lube that was supplied. Torqued the heads in 3 increments to a total of 65 ft lbs.

I took all the plugs out and looked for tell-tale signs of burning coolant but nothing stood out as being abnormal.

The car runs good at all temps.

Would a coolant leak down test be useful?

I know this probably belongs in "Internal" but with the huge offset with LTFTs I figure you guys would probably be able to provide more insight as to what is going on.

TIA.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Not related but partially related...unless you are running duals with-out a crossover, weather the condensation is on the right or left tailpipe doesn't tell you much.

I would look for condensation at the y-pipe where it connects to the right and left header to determine which head probably has the blown head gasket (if it is a blown head gasket).

They say the easy fix for blown head gaskets is Caddy pills from GM ($20).

Search this Thread