Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is g-tech accurate

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is g-tech accurate

wondering if the newest g-tech is accurate and if it tell rwhp and crank horsepower
Old 05-19-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's accurate for determ9ining changes (given exact same conditions) ... however... if you post up "xyz hp by G-Tech" expect to be given lots of **** (the gtech is a decent tuning tool.... but for real RWHP numbers you need to visit a shop that uses a dynometer..... but best practice is 1/4 mile times ... race proven increases in power are the most respected number IMHO
Old 06-24-2006, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

SO its not accurate at all with hp?
Old 06-24-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

consistant is a better term.

Gtech HP rating is as accurate as the setup. But, you can't compare it to Dyno numbers.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Launching!

I could never get my GTech to stick to the windshield. Everytime I jammed on the throttle it would fly into the backseat. Not an accurate way to measure anything. Put it back in the box and haven't used it since, especially since it told me my stroker was only making 260hp.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by horist
it's accurate for determ9ining changes (given exact same conditions) ... however... if you post up "xyz hp by G-Tech" expect to be given lots of **** (the gtech is a decent tuning tool.... but for real RWHP numbers you need to visit a shop that uses a dynometer..... but best practice is 1/4 mile times ... race proven increases in power are the most respected number IMHO
I agree

The G-tech is a good tuning tool, and is GREAT for praticing your launch techniques!! It is extremly consistant, even from model to model. I used the older model to do back to back 0-60mph runs in my truck, then mounted the newest model for two runs and ran within .002 on all four runs!!!
If been a big help in practicing launch techniques with my car.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
KVU
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 382WS6
I could never get my GTech to stick to the windshield. Everytime I jammed on the throttle it would fly into the backseat. Not an accurate way to measure anything. Put it back in the box and haven't used it since, especially since it told me my stroker was only making 260hp.
Slobbering on the suction cup is not the best way to do that, Bro. If you couldn't get that to stick then forget using a vericom accelerometer, there are four cups. Guess they are junk too, at the low price of $2000 or so.

Just messing with you. Mine does work fine though. I have recorded launches at 1.12G + w/o any problems.

For the record, the new(er) g-tech works really good. I have used it to fine tune quite a few cars....
Old 06-29-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used my 40 $ ebay one at the track it was off .1th adn 2MPH high i say thats pretty good for some radar lookin box stuck to your glass/
Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camarokid94
i used my 40 $ ebay one at the track it was off .1th adn 2MPH high i say thats pretty good for some radar lookin box stuck to your glass/
Mine too...+/- .02 on the ET and 2-3mph off at the top end. The horsepower will look like Mustang dyno numbers assuming you get the same kind of traction on the street as you would strapped down on the dyno. There's just more room for error with the G-Tech's numbers:

+/-5hp inherent in the unit on top of user error
vehicle weight not 100% correct
wheel spin
gust of wind
rough road
road not 100% flat (slight peaks/valleys)
etc