PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car stalls after start

Old 05-23-2006, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default car slowly stalls after start up

well i have the rest of my tune done all my ltft's are either 1 or -1 no knock retard ,idle doesnt hang ,MAF calibrated,but when i start the car it starts right up then sometimes slowly dies unless i give it a little gas for a second,Idle is set at 1050,when its warm it does the same but usually recovers,any ideas,seems like the IAC decays to fast on start up!

Last edited by KRAZY K 2000 TA; 05-23-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

and i did bump the timing up about four degrees it helped alot
Old 05-23-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In HPT, go to Idle > Idle Airflow > Base Running Airflow > Idle Airflow table. This table most likely needs to be increased due to the extra idle airflow requirements your cam has at idle. You can log this and plot it in a histogram with the new HPT versions, makes it super simple to change.

With a cam that size, you may need to drill a 2nd hole in your TB blade to get your IAC counts down. Also, what is your idle RPM set at?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

that did it multiplied the stock table by 1.48 and BINGO starts perfect,i just got my throttle cracker table perfect returns to idle perfect,just ran my scanner again all my LTFT's are still 0 or -1 waiting for my BFGOODRICH DRAG RADIALS and its off to the track,seriosly doubt ill get traction though!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

how are your hot starts? does the car start right up at the turn of the key or hunt for a second? I have been tweaking my car, i have the RAF inline but the hot starts are still pissing me off. i have read and searched alot in the last few days and tried some things last night with no luck. Car drives fine no surging, bucking, stalling when coming to a stop. cracker tables really helped that.

Thanks for any tips

John
Old 05-24-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

John,
Try raising the RAF a little. I know the scanner may be saying you have it nailed, but raise it by .2 at a time and see if it cures your problem or not. As you know, if you go too far its no big deal, it won't hurt anything.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

well that is what i was thinking also...i havent been real keen on the startup friction tables needing adjustments but they very well may need too...i will try raising it .2 at a time first and see what happens. my cold starts are fine it fires right up so will tune on the upper engine temps and see what happens. will the car fire right up if i nail the numbers it wants? or will it it take it a few on/off cycles?

Thanks
John
Old 05-24-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

It should idle perfectly right off the bat. From your previous post I got the impression it was firing just fine, but if its cranking for longer than usual, RAF's are not your problem.

Search this Thread