PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning help for my 98 TA F14 cam & bolt-ons only

Old 05-24-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning help for my 98 TA F14 cam & bolt-ons only

I recently had my TA which has been modded w/ SLP Lid w/ K&N, free mods, 160 t-stat, LS6 intake, ported TB, UDpulley, Pacesetter 1.75in LTs w/ 3in x-pipe w/ no cats, bullets and turndowns, built automatic etc etc ) tuned by Scott "Gomer is name on here" using HP Tuners and it made 394rwhp and 375rwtq locked thru a 3.73 geared 12-bolt and A4 w/ vig3200. After we got it off the dyno we took it for a spin and it ran hard as hell. It was also being scanned during these part and WOT runs and everything looked great so i was happy. 4-6 weeks later however, I kept getting an SES light so i scanned it at Autozone and 2 codes came up referring to the TPS but I dont remember the code #s yet one said TPS performance problem but dunno bout the other one. I checked the TPS voltage and its just fine but the SES light still keeps coming on w/ the same codes but then goes off bout a day later and then comes back on again. Also, Im only running about 12.80s@108-109mph on MT DRs cutting 1.8 60fts which sucks fo my setup. Shouldnt I be able to hit low 12s@116+mph or so??? Anyone have any ideas? Gomer is supposed to help me figure it out but he's very busy so I dunno when I'll be able to get to him. Please help cuz I wanna try and get it running fairly well till Gomer can check it out.
Thanks Guys/Gals
Old 05-24-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The next time you are in Montgomery I can scan it for you.

John
Old 05-24-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JNorris
The next time you are in Montgomery I can scan it for you.

John
Thanks a bunch John. When is everyone going again?? This Friday night??
Old 05-24-2006, 10:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P0121 code? possibly min/max map parameter issues?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Sounds like a really nice car. You really have put some thought into the power setup. The dyno shows that. I read and reread your post to try to give a thoughtful response. The one piece of the puzzle I didn't see clearly was the suspension. The MT DRs are a step in the right direction. If you are cutting 1.8 60's with anything but the stock suspension pieces, including the shocks I would take right turn down the setup/tuning path. Your setup/tuning sounds good with the dyno numbers, however all that power with no way to efficiently put it to the ground= where you are at.
As for the TPS stuff, what kind of "usual boltons" are we talking about in regard to the TB? Could be a easy TPS reset, that is, disconnect the TPS. Turn it on briefly, the plug it in again, turn on, turn off-all with no pressure on the pedal/tension on the cable to get a good zero reference. Then again I think you said that the V's were all in line- in that case...codes pls.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Doc
Sounds like a really nice car. You really have put some thought into the power setup. The dyno shows that. I read and reread your post to try to give a thoughtful response. The one piece of the puzzle I didn't see clearly was the suspension. The MT DRs are a step in the right direction. If you are cutting 1.8 60's with anything but the stock suspension pieces, including the shocks I would take right turn down the setup/tuning path. Your setup/tuning sounds good with the dyno numbers, however all that power with no way to efficiently put it to the ground= where you are at.
As for the TPS stuff, what kind of "usual boltons" are we talking about in regard to the TB? Could be a easy TPS reset, that is, disconnect the TPS. Turn it on briefly, the plug it in again, turn on, turn off-all with no pressure on the pedal/tension on the cable to get a good zero reference. Then again I think you said that the V's were all in line- in that case...codes pls.
Thanks Doc. When you asked about the TB referring to the "usual bolt-ons" i meant the TB is a ported stock throttle body. Suspension setup I have is BMR SFCS, torque arm, and LCAs. I've had the TPS reset 3 times by Autozones code scanner but it'll come back on within a week later and yes the TPS Vs were all good. My brother-in-law and I have done all the other tests u mentioned about the TPS so i think its gotta be something else making it run bad . Im gonna go get it scanned again today and write down the codes and then post up on here what they are.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep you're missing about 6 MPH there.
When I do a reset I usually unplug the battery and just reset everything at once.
You may have a sensor going bad.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Default Codes

Ok i had it scanned and 4 codes came up. They are: PO102, PO122, and PO121 came up two times refering to the TPS. Any Ideas folks??
Old 05-25-2006, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well the 102 is a maf code...maybe take a look at that...and i already gave you a heads up about the P0121 in my post above
Old 05-25-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foff667
well the 102 is a maf code...maybe take a look at that...and i already gave you a heads up about the P0121 in my post above
Der my bad, missed that heads up on the PO121
well i swap the maf out and check the other things and let yall know how it goes. Thanks everyone

Search this Thread