Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need expert advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need expert advice

this question is probably answered somewhere throughout this forum or another.. or hell maybe yahoo but i searched for half an hour and did not find the answer i was looking for and i'm tired of looking so maybe somebody will explain this to me on here...
ok i know what a handheld programmer is.. know how to work 1.. my brother and my friend programmed there's 1 used diablo the other used hypertech.. what i don't understand is the difference between that and a tuner like efilive or ls1edit or hptuner.. i keep reading stuff like it's software and u need a laptop.. how exactly does that stuff work? how does it hook into ur car and how do u use it? i see it's pretty expensive but offering things like free upgrades for life is definitely worth it...
Old 05-25-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Expert advice: You spent half an hour searching on yahoo when you could have gone straight to the HPTuner, EFILive, or LS1Edit websites...
Old 05-25-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

'Expert' advice deleted due to rude, incompetence of original poster.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 05-25-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Teching In

txhorns i'm sorry man ur right that's crazy.. whats with the smartass reply though? pms this week? i asked for a decent sensible answer not a nerd that sits on here allllllll day readin about everything and memorizing it cuz u got nothin else to do.. thanks
Old 05-25-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Dude, we all get that way because we keep answering the same 10 questions each week that more than likely could be answered by (like he said) going to the software websites, reading the stickies in the forum, or using the search function. So don't go off on him because your first 30 minutes of reading wasn't turning you into a tuning master. I've been at this for over a year and I'm still learning. Does that make me a nerd because I have an interest in something that you don't understand?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Launching!

handheld: not versatile...you either program their canned power tune or you don't...you might have a couple other parameters in the computer you can change such as shift points if you have an automatic, or changing the top speed limiter...but that's about it

efilive/hptuners: very versatile...you control (almost) every parameter and table. this can be a bad thing if you don't know what you're doing. if you've made any kind of major mods and want to compensate for them so you squeeze every bit of HP out this is the way to go. a canned tune can't possibly know that you've done a 228/228 cam but not heads, know the exact airflow capabilities of your exhaust, etc. software will allow you to log and adjust and tune for your specific car.....but since you insult those that spend time on the boards this might not be the thing for you to do if you're not willing to make the time commitment to learn. that will take time on these boards. it takes awhile.

ls1edit: general consensus: it sucks....spend your money elsewhere
Old 05-26-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by alphaNomega07
txhorns i'm sorry man ur right that's crazy.. whats with the smartass reply though? pms this week? i asked for a decent sensible answer not a nerd that sits on here allllllll day readin about everything and memorizing it cuz u got nothin else to do.. thanks
Did we communicate via PMs this week? I don't recall b/c I get quite a few PMs each week from people all about the same stuff. Each time I am not necessarily polite, but at least objective in my responses. So I'm sure if you asked me anything similar to what you originally posted here, I would have told you to research more, and to check out the vendor websites as they are the source of your relevant information. Come to think of it, if we did communicate through a PM this last week, then this would be the 2nd time I would have said this... hmmm...

He called me a nerd...