PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what the f*** am i getting myself into???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the f*** am i getting myself into???

ive really caught the bug to learn to tune my own car.... im about to get a lappy for this reason alone... im gonna start by reading all the stickies, then going through, and reading as much as i can on the subject.

im thinking of using hptuner, and will do a search on ebay for the software... and the link cable i will need to patch into my pcm.

basically i have no idea what im getting myself into, and do not know if this is even gonna be possible? i do not have access to a dyno, nor am i good a reading spark plugs. i think i was reading somewhere that i will need to sensor that reads my exhaust to check the burnoff....

any input, and help is greatly appreciated.

trey
Old 05-29-2006, 10:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

everyone starts somewhere...the stickies are a good starting point...also check out www.hptuners.com/forum i noticed an older hptuners serial cable selling for cheap on ebay the other day...might wanna check it out its about the first one ive seen selling on ebay to be honest.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the stickies like foff said and check out all the options. HPTuners and EFIlive both offer tuning solutions. Check the link in my sig and you can download a free demo of EFIlive to see what it is all about.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what is wideband? do i need this to tune?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you havent been tuning for some time your getting yourself into many upon many nights of hair pulling, or for the baldies, head banging.... you will need a wideband to do it right, look at spending about 6-7hundred for a decent tuning program, not including wideband($350ish) and laptop, if you have an ideaw of what mods you want to get, I would suggest just getting the mods and have a tune professionally done on the dyno, your in houston and I'm sure there's some good ls1 tuners out there, it may cost about 400 for a dyno tune, not sure but it would be worth it not to have the headache if your a newb, its not a one time thing if your doing it yourself, it will become a lifestyle that will consume alot of your time, I say you should do it once and enjoy the car!!...
Old 05-30-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Assassin
if you havent been tuning for some time your getting yourself into many upon many nights of hair pulling, or for the baldies, head banging.... you will need a wideband to do it right, look at spending about 6-7hundred for a decent tuning program, not including wideband($350ish) and laptop, if you have an ideaw of what mods you want to get, I would suggest just getting the mods and have a tune professionally done on the dyno, your in houston and I'm sure there's some good ls1 tuners out there, it may cost about 400 for a dyno tune, not sure but it would be worth it not to have the headache if your a newb, its not a one time thing if your doing it yourself, it will become a lifestyle that will consume alot of your time, I say you should do it once and enjoy the car!!...

problem is, when i add more mods, or get more work done, ill have to keep going back, which will end up costing me more, than if i would have done it myself.... plus the fact that i can learn a new skill.

trey
Old 05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by treysoucie
problem is, when i add more mods, or get more work done, ill have to keep going back, which will end up costing me more, than if i would have done it myself.... plus the fact that i can learn a new skill.

trey
One of the few tuning newbies that thinks ahead! As with anything, there is a learning curve, likewise, everything is easy when you know how to do it.

Check out the www.efilive.com and download the demo copy. The help menu's have several tutorials to get you well on your way.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

will do, thanks.

Are the principles the same from different tuning software suites?

trey
Old 05-30-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

will do, thanks.

trey
Yes they are.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you're interested in your car, then software tuning is the next step;
you'll master the learning curve, and the tuning package will become your favourite software and friend (...even when the Mrs yells at you because you're flashing your PCM at 2am...), you will not regret it, but it involves reading alot; you'll learn alot about your car.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

will do, thanks.

trey
Yes. Difference is in the interface.

Originally Posted by joecar
If you're interested in your car, then software tuning is the next step;
you'll master the learning curve, and the tuning package will become your favourite software and friend (...even when the Mrs yells at you because you're flashing your PCM at 2am...), you will not regret it, but it involves reading alot; you'll learn alot about your car.

Good luck.
She yells at me every time I flash her, regardless of the time
Old 05-31-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
She yells at me every time I flash her, regardless of the time