Sponsored by:

Granatelli MAF fixes A/F!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up Granatelli MAF fixes A/F!

well possibly: car has a lid, catback, granatelli maf, billet flywheel. NO TUNE

is my a/f good considering? what could explain my car running this way? i vote the maf... you decide
Old 06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks lean to me, but that picture looks like chicken scratch....
Old 06-23-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by technical
Looks lean to me, but that picture looks like chicken scratch....
its got a lid and a catback, of course its gonna be lean. but the a/f line is dead straight and very consistant. from a factory tune?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

I was thinking lean myself. The flatness doesn't mean much ad mine did nearly the same thing after my cam but was WAY rich.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

being at 13.5:1 for the most part on a dynojet your probably closer to 14.0:1 on the street which is super lean, thats far from being "fixed" it means you need a tune lol. Besides, a few runs on a dyno in one gear only gives part of the story
Old 06-23-2006, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by qwikz28
its got a lid and a catback, of course its gonna be lean. but the a/f line is dead straight and very consistant. from a factory tune?
Uh dude.....

Your A/F is WAY off.

In fact, it's dangerously off!!!

At 2k you're around 14.2 to 1.
3k 13.8
4k 13.6
5k 13.5
6k 13.4

You SHOULD be reading 12.5 to 1 on the dyno wideband. (that's about 12.8 on the street).

You're missing out on a decent amount of power, especially in the low end. Lean hurts tq down low a lot.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

i know i made this thread out of boredom to be honest. it was meant to be sarcastic. i got a set of headers but i've been scared to put them on cause of how lean the car is. i'm assuming its cause of the MAF cause all other cars i see with similar mods are no where near as lean as mine. it just sucks cause i sold my stocker to someone who really needed it asap.

to make a long story short: aftermarket MAFs blow my crotch

Originally Posted by foff667
being at 13.5:1 for the most part on a dynojet your probably closer to 14.0:1 on the street which is super lean, thats far from being "fixed" it means you need a tune lol. Besides, a few runs on a dyno in one gear only gives part of the story
hey bill. let me know if your ever coming by the northern part of the state. i finally ordered h/c and i'm gonna need a baseline tune
Old 06-25-2006, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

i know i made this thread out of boredom to be honest. it was meant to be sarcastic. i got a set of headers but i've been scared to put them on cause of how lean the car is. i'm assuming its cause of the MAF cause all other cars i see with similar mods are no where near as lean as mine. it just sucks cause i sold my stocker to someone who really needed it asap.

to make a long story short: aftermarket MAFs blow my crotch

hey bill. let me know if your ever coming by the northern part of the state. i finally ordered h/c and i'm gonna need a baseline tune
BOO! Bad form...

FYI, sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet, unless it's WAY over the top.

Not to be mean, but...... If you're bored, go do a puzzle, or read a book or something, don't spend time making fake posts and discouraging people who actually want to help others. That, and this kinda misinformation doesn't help anyone.

And yeah, keeping the MAF stock seems to be the most popular approach.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
BOO! Bad form...

FYI, sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet, unless it's WAY over the top.

Not to be mean, but...... If you're bored, go do a puzzle, or read a book or something, don't spend time making fake posts and discouraging people who actually want to help others. That, and this kinda misinformation doesn't help anyone.

And yeah, keeping the MAF stock seems to be the most popular approach.
actually i was showing my A/F ratios cause on one of the local boards these MAFs have been a big topic of debate so i figured i'd share my results since i had time. thanks for the detailed, yet worthless response.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

does your car have the stock tune in it? if so...what the hell happend to the cat converter protection? my car always wanted to go rich at WOT around 4800 or 5000rpm...it dropped from a 12.7 down to about a 12.1
Old 06-25-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
does your car have the stock tune in it? if so...what the hell happend to the cat converter protection? my car always wanted to go rich at WOT around 4800 or 5000rpm...it dropped from a 12.7 down to about a 12.1
not sure why its not doing that i know the MAF is playing a big part in it but i figured the car would correct itself eventually somehow. bill (foff) has helped me clear a ton of codes my car has thrown from that stupid device. i'm thinking i might buy a stocker MAF to compare and contrast, i think i may gain some power once the PCM goes back to normal after some driving
Old 06-26-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

try dialing it in....there is a right up on it somewhere...dialing in the MAF

i did it..but right now its slipping my mind quite how i did it. I think you have to do something in halfway open loop and watch the values and have a set AFR
Old 06-26-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
try dialing it in....there is a right up on it somewhere...dialing in the MAF

i did it..but right now its slipping my mind quite how i did it. I think you have to do something in halfway open loop and watch the values and have a set AFR
cool deal. i'll give that a shot this week. thanks man
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

actually i was showing my A/F ratios cause on one of the local boards these MAFs have been a big topic of debate so i figured i'd share my results since i had time. thanks for the detailed, yet worthless response.
Fine, share your results. But don't waste our time with sarcasm and misinformation. It doesn't do anyone good.

That all said....

If you're going to keep the MAF and tune, you'll need to dial in your VE table first, then calibrate the MAF. There's a few stickies in the top of the forum that will help guide you through the process. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Fine, share your results. But don't waste our time with sarcasm and misinformation. It doesn't do anyone good.

That all said....

If you're going to keep the MAF and tune, you'll need to dial in your VE table first, then calibrate the MAF. There's a few stickies in the top of the forum that will help guide you through the process. Good luck.
no misinformation here maybe a misleading title i guess

i'm just gonna throw a stocker on there and see what changes. any idea what i should do after the heads/cam? an 85mm maf? or should i port the stocker or something?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Stock Stocker will do just fine
Old 06-27-2006, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

no misinformation here maybe a misleading title i guess

i'm just gonna throw a stocker on there and see what changes. any idea what i should do after the heads/cam? an 85mm maf? or should i port the stocker or something?
Yep, just use the stock MAF. I've heard it's good to about 600hp.

Or, some people go mafless altogether (SD tune).

But, all debate aside, there's no large advantage to that unless your MAF is maxed out (forced induction).
Old 06-27-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, just use the stock MAF. I've heard it's good to about 600hp.

Or, some people go mafless altogether (SD tune).

But, all debate aside, there's no large advantage to that unless your MAF is maxed out (forced induction).
i've thought about speed density but i still cant figure out how SD can make more power then an MAF. an MAF tells you how much air is going into the engine. speed density is kinda like a guessed AFR table IIRC. i would love to run MAFless but i still cant grasp the concept
Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

how do you think dodges, I6 trailblazers, many TPI & TBI GM's did/do it they are SD.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

yeah but is it really that much better?