PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still having some problems, help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still having some problems, help!

I posted up a while back after having installing my clutch and come to find out my buddy had left off a ground wire he removed. In that thread I posted about how I forget to disconnect the battery when working on the car , and this caused an arc when I accidentally touched the header between the starter and something else metal.

Fast foward to now. I was getting the charge system fault code and the PCM code associated with this P1637, and assumed it was the wire on top of the alternator. Well I just finished soldering the new connector I bought ($32) in and went for a test drive. Still getting charge system fault and damn near didn't make it back home. Like the car was doing before, it started to run like crap and backfire and sputter. It also went into reduced power mode. Then it cut off and took several tries to get back cranked. Tried to pull back on the road and it did it again. This occurs at random times but usually occurs in the low rpm's if you go WOT or near WOT. Well I got it running and actually got out on the road and it started running normal again. It pulled like a raped ape all the way through the RPM range.

The codes associated with the running bad are P0336 which is associated with the crank position sensor which obviously links directly to the PCM. P1514 which has to do with the TPS and MAF readings, and the usual P1637 that is associated with the charge system. I am also getting a C1278 for something with the TCS system, as well as Service Vehicle Soon.

So again I am kinda back to the drawing board. Do you guys think there could be another ground that is loose? Or do you think the PCM has had it?

TIA for any help. Car is an 03 Z06 BTW.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

probably more grounds loose. had a friend that was getting all kinds of codes cuz of a bad ground and the car wouldn't want to run.

go ahead and start checking all around the tranny
Old 06-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
probably more grounds loose. had a friend that was getting all kinds of codes cuz of a bad ground and the car wouldn't want to run.

go ahead and start checking all around the tranny
Yeah I kinda figured it was likely that it was a ground. I just want it to run right again.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Teching In

TTT everyone else think it's a ground? That is what I suspect.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default ....

Is this an FI car?

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
I posted up a while back after having installing my clutch and come to find out my buddy had left off a ground wire he removed. In that thread I posted about how I forget to disconnect the battery when working on the car , and this caused an arc when I accidentally touched the header between the starter and something else metal.

Fast foward to now. I was getting the charge system fault code and the PCM code associated with this P1637, and assumed it was the wire on top of the alternator. Well I just finished soldering the new connector I bought ($32) in and went for a test drive. Still getting charge system fault and damn near didn't make it back home. Like the car was doing before, it started to run like crap and backfire and sputter. It also went into reduced power mode. Then it cut off and took several tries to get back cranked. Tried to pull back on the road and it did it again. This occurs at random times but usually occurs in the low rpm's if you go WOT or near WOT. Well I got it running and actually got out on the road and it started running normal again. It pulled like a raped ape all the way through the RPM range.

The codes associated with the running bad are P0336 which is associated with the crank position sensor which obviously links directly to the PCM. P1514 which has to do with the TPS and MAF readings, and the usual P1637 that is associated with the charge system. I am also getting a C1278 for something with the TCS system, as well as Service Vehicle Soon.

So again I am kinda back to the drawing board. Do you guys think there could be another ground that is loose? Or do you think the PCM has had it?

TIA for any help. Car is an 03 Z06 BTW.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Launching!

ttt for you im have the same exact problem....i just finished my motor install and the car wont start first i thought it was because its open headers & i have no back pressure but then i ran the computer and that code came up...

How many grounds do these cars have because to be honest thats the only thing i really dont remember Lol... aaaaah!!