Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS, TCS, and Service Vehicle lights with codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS, TCS, and Service Vehicle lights with codes

My 2001 Trans Am started to light up the ABS, TCS, and Service Vehicle lights. It started when I would go WOT and the tires spun. I connected my laptop, which has Ease installed, and I am getting 4 codes:

Module 58 - U1040 EDTC: DTC U1040 Loss of Class 2 Communications with ABS
Module 58 - U1096 EDTC: DTC U1096 Loss of Communications with IPC
Module 60 - U1000 EDTC: DTC U1000 Class 2 Communication Malfunction
Module 60 - U1040 EDTC: DTC U1040 Loss of Class 2 Communications with ABS

The car has stock rear with 3.73 gear and standard WS6 size rims. I did blow a passenger side rear shock when I hit a pot hole (Michigan roads suck).

Could these codes be from the pot hole and have to do with sensors at the rear??? I do not know anything about the sensors or the details of these codes. I know they will not clear and are recurring. Anyone know what the possibilities are???

Last edited by ActionJack; 07-07-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

TTT

I need help from the LS1Tech gurus
Old 07-07-2006, 05:25 PM
MPP
Teching In

Module 58 is the Air Bag Module (SDM)
Module 60 is the Dash Cluster (IPC)

If the Dash doesn't get told by the EBCM (ABS) to turn off the TCS and ABS lights, they will stay on.

Since both of these modules are complaining about not being able to comunicate with the EBCM or with each other, I would look for a wiring issue with the J1850 bus wire somewhere. It could also be an issue with the EBCM module itself not communicating correctly and messing up the J1850 Bus.

Does your tach, fuel and water temp gauges still work OK??? That would mean the PCM to IPC communications over the bus are still OK.

Last edited by MPP; 07-07-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MPP
Module 58 is the Air Bag Module (SDM)
Module 60 is the Dash Cluster (IPC)

If the Dash doesn't get told by the EBCM (ABS) to turn off the TCS and ABS lights, they will stay on.

Since both of these modules are complaining about not being able to comunicate with the EBCM or with each other, I would look for a wiring issue with the J1850 bus wire somewhere. It could also be an issue with the EBCM module itself not communicating correctly and messing up the J1850 Bus.

Does your tach, fuel and water temp gauges still work OK??? That would mean the PCM to IPC communications over the bus are still OK.

Thanks MPP I was afraid I was gonna find no help.

My dash guages are fine. I do get a flickering in the dash lights and headlights sometimes. The readings are right on. I use a guage called interceptor that connects directly to the OBDII and the dash readings are close to the interceptor readings.

So are you then thinking it is thre EBCM? If so, from a couple of posts I found previously while searching, it could cost about $800.00 for the part?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:13 PM
MPP
Teching In

I would double check the wiring first before you go out and get a EBCM.

Pin 25 on the EBCM, Pin 58, Blue connector, on the PCM and Pin 2 on the Datalink connector should all have continueity to each other. Make sure that the EBCM has power and ground and that the fuses are still there - there's three of them - ABS Bat 1, ABS Bat 2, and ABS IGN. I have seen pins back out and ground straps fatigue causing these types of problems before. It's easy to check and could save you some cash-o-la.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MPP
I would double check the wiring first before you go out and get a EBCM.

Pin 25 on the EBCM, Pin 58, Blue connector, on the PCM and Pin 2 on the Datalink connector should all have continueity to each other. Make sure that the EBCM has power and ground and that the fuses are still there - there's three of them - ABS Bat 1, ABS Bat 2, and ABS IGN. I have seen pins back out and ground straps fatigue causing these types of problems before. It's easy to check and could save you some cash-o-la.

Thanks for the tips...
Old 08-20-2007, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

can anyone tell me where to find the EBCM on a 2001 trans am?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Teching In

I believe it is located behind the Glove Compartment. A little black box toward the right.

Quick Reply: ABS, TCS, and Service Vehicle lights with codes