Sponsored by:

So you think you can tune!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So you think you can tune!

.. Well I know I don't !

I am ready to pull the trigger on installing several performance parts on my 2005 Z51 A4 C6.

I have the following items stocked in my garage waiting for the hot summer sun to F*%K off so I can start working on this project... I'm located in Bahrain (middle-east)...

The parts I plan to install on the vehicle are as follows: -

1. LG's G5X3 CAM @ 114 LSA
2. LG's LT Pro headers (No-Cats)
3. Fuddle converter (Stall 3400, STR 2.1)
4. SLP's U/D Pulley
5. Halltech stinger + CAI
6. B&M trans cooler
7. 4L65E Trans-go Shiftkit
8. Upgraded spring kit (Patriot Gold rated @ '0.650 lift)
9. 160 degree t/stat

The car is currently stock with nothing but a Borla stinger + X-pipe installed (X will have to be replaced with the one I got with the headers).

As I've mentioned, my auto is a Z51 thus I'm running the 3.15 gears and I haven't decided to upgrade to a 3.42 diff yet.

Tuning is my major concern at this moment. I have placed an order for the HP Tuners package and a friend of mine promised to help me out with tuning. I was wanderin if I could get any help/pointers about tuning the vehicle (Big CAM tuning is scaring me). I understand I won't achieve the results I could if I were to dyno-tune the vehicle but we don't have any trustworthy & reliable speed shops in the country.

When it comes to tuning I have nothing but the will to learn. The size of the cam is what mainly scares me. I use the car quite often and I really want to avoid any surging, idling issues or any other issues of the sort...

Please help a fellow LS1Tech member learn from your knowledge & past experiences!

Any help in regard to this matter is appreciated... thanx in advance!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

just post any questions on the hptuners site and they will get answered very fast. here might take a little longer.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:49 AM
TECH Junkie

you might want to start reading thru all the stickies as well. there is a lot to know, and a lot for you to sort thru
Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also be sure to get a wideband O2 sensor... wideband +open roads + tuning suite (in this case HPT) is all you really need to get a decent tune
Old 07-10-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also get started on your car while stock first, it will be much easier than jumping right in the deep end.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, tuning the stockish cars is the best learning experience you can get, so do that, go through everything you can, make it as good as possible. make sure you take notes, because on the beginning you're gonna be going back and forth a lot, which is going to be much clearer once you're cozy with all the concepts.
the most important aspect of tuning stockish cars is that they're healthy, they dont have any modding gremlins. you're not 'unscrewing' anything with a stockish car, you're truly just tuning for performance, instead of just chasing down bugs. not only it's much easier, but it's also very encouraging, as it's easy to make progress and see good results.

methodology is super important, and noone talks about. you gotta learn how to take logs, how to drive it so you dont introduce knock, and allows you to gather a lot of solid, error-free data. do everything multiple times, and compare the results. if everything is fine, they should be fairly close to each other, but if you see significant discrepancies, it's something to be investigated.

scan scan scan, i can't possibly stress it enough! learn your car, what it wants, what it needs, and how it reacts to changes. the more you scan, the less you will edit, because your changes will be much more precise and well informed.

there's more crap, but i gotta go work
Old 07-10-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by horist
Also be sure to get a wideband O2 sensor... wideband +open roads + tuning suite (in this case HPT) is all you really need to get a decent tune
WBO2 is as important as a good tuning suite
Old 07-10-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

if you have patience to look on here for an answer, there is an answer to every question you'll have. plus the new HPTuners tells you what each function does so its alot easier and not as overwhelming as you may have read on here in the past. I have little patience, and the slowest laptop imaginable and its getting to be pretty easy for me.