Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to tuning with a wideband

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to tuning with a wideband

Just like the title says I'm using my wideband for the first time and had a few questions. I set up my .bin per the directions in HP Tuners (and the stickies here). Why do you change the OLFA table to 1.00 across the board? Is it safe to to high rpm runs at a 14.7 AFR? Also, how do you guys hit the higher rpm's? Do you do WOT runs or do you just do a gradual acceleration? I didn't disable PE so I understand at the higher rpms it's kicking in, but I still don't understand why we're changing those areas of the OLFA to such a high AFR. I know these questions are very basic to most of you guys, but I'm just trying to understand why some items are done. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Im new to this myself. Im running open loop speed density tune right now and I put my olfa at 1.0

The reason behind that I think is because that is a multiplier and if you are wanting to tune with the ve table then you dont want the olfa adding fuel. So a value of 1.0 doesnt add or take fuel since anything multiplid by 1 stays the same.

Thats my take. Like I said, Im new.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, if you are at 14.7 at wot then yes thats too lean. When mine was at 14:1 at wot I ended up adding 15 to my wot cells to get it to 12.9 at wot
Old 07-13-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with full-force, if you are NA, you'll want your WOT AFR to be around 12.9-13.3/4. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the VE table above 4K RPM, cause when you plug your MAF back in, it will take over determining airflow from 4K and up; leaving your VE alone to play by itself.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by muncie21
I agree with full-force, if you are NA, you'll want your WOT AFR to be around 12.9-13.3/4. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the VE table above 4K RPM, cause when you plug your MAF back in, it will take over determining airflow from 4K and up; leaving your VE alone to play by itself.
Yeah, but I'm not planning on putting the MAF back in for now...
Old 07-13-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess my question is if you're planning on staying with an SD tune do you disable PE or not to tune your VE? It just doesn't seem safe to me to do WOT runs with the table commanding a 14.7 AFR.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tune it like you are going to drive it. Without the MAF interfering, the only thing (generally speaking, IAT, fuel pressure ect. will all have some affect) that will affect final AFR results is the VE table. If your commanded and actual AFR don't match, then add/subtract from that area of the VE table.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would leave the mulitplier as stock.

Log Commanded AFR.
Log Wideband AFR
In HPTuners logging make it display the the percentage difference between the two, this will generate a map of what you need to change in the VE table.
This formula would be 100*((WidebandPID)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]
Now sure what your Wideban PID would be as I used my EGR sensor input.
Log the histogram, RPM vs MAP using the AFR% error values, this will e the changes you need to do in your VE.