Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going back MAF!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going back MAF!

I have my car's VE tuned in SD in cold weather and now it's in the upper 90's. I have always had problems in SD as far as track times. It never corrects for the higher/lower temps. I run the same in +3000 DA as I do in -800 DA when it should be running faster in the colder weather I want to put it back to MAF.
Now that the weather has gone to the upper 90's should I start over with the VE table the recalibrate the MAF to the new VE table? How will that effect the tune when winter gets here? Am I going to have to retune it again for the colder temps?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 07-25-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dial your VE table in first, with the MAF disabled. Once VE is dialed in, adjust your MAF to match dynamic airflow. Once this is done, you won't need to re-adjust for changes in weather as long as you keep the MAF.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

So pretty much I have to start over with the VE table again huh? Ok well I hope it's not to far off
Old 07-26-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only way that I know of to re-cal your MAF is via the VE table. <shrug>
Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

MAF can also be calibrated by mapping frequency against AFR error, compiling average error for a set of frequencies centered by the calibration point will get it close to perfect
Old 07-27-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

If your car is already running fine in SD and your trims and afr are in order, then just plug the maf, log and follow what txhorns suggested. You shouldnt have to start over.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txhorns281
MAF can also be calibrated by mapping frequency against AFR error, compiling average error for a set of frequencies centered by the calibration point will get it close to perfect
If your VE is wacked, won't this method result in a screwy MAF (although correct at the time) curve?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you tune your VE first, your VE will be smooth but you'll have to make odd adjustments to your MAF table when the MAF is enabled.

If you make your MAF table smooth, then you'll have to make up for it with odd adjustments to your VE table.

The MAF vs MAP debate is great. It sort of comes down to which one you trust more.

Then there's the issue of "our" tuning procedures emulating pretty much what the factory closed loop routine is working towards. "We" assume it is the correct thing to do, to make adjustments until all learn cells are stoich with minimal fueling corrections.

Running a MAF in closed loop seems to make a lot of folks feel better knowing that the system is constantly "fixing" itself based on conditions.

I do feel that your assumption of gained performance in cold weather is incorrect. You say that you are tuned in SD for cold weather which suggests optimum performance was already found. I think it more likely that switching the tune will only result in less performance in hot weather.
It's easy enough to find out.