PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM stops controlling alternator?

Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default PCM stops controlling alternator?

I have a 2001 tahoe 5.3L swapped into my El Camino. Last week the alternator started this thing where it would just stop charging. I had it tested a few times and it always tested good. Today I decided to check the 2 wires from the PCM that control it. I had made sure that the wires and connections were good last week, today I checked the voltages while I drove. I checked the battery, charge indicator, and field voltages today as I took it for a ride. The alternator was charging and the battery was consistently at 14.4V , the charge indicator wire stayed around 11.3-11.8V and the field voltage was around 2-5V. It charged just fine for about a half hour, then I couldn`t stand it anymore, I noticed that before it would charge ok until you stopped and shut the car off then it would not charge. So that is what I did, when I restarted the car the battery voltage dropped to 12v, the charge indicator wire went to 2.5-3V and the field voltage went to 0.03V for the rest of the ride. Now I am thinking it must be a computer problem since the computer supplies the voltage to the charge indicator wire and the field wire.

Has anyone else seen the computer stop supplying voltage to the alt? I don`t think it is a bad connection or broken wire since I didn`t move or wiggle anything, I just shut the car off and restarted it. Is my PCM junk or is there something else I can check?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:47 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone? I`m still confused here
Old 08-14-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you get into the pcm and verify the "L" and "F " field errors haven't been disabled for the alternator. Also make sure the gounds are of adequate size and located as close as possible for the pcm and motor.

Search this Thread