Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your first expirence with tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your first expirence with tuning

Trying to get a better feel for what I'm getting into. How well are the learning 101 techniqes conveyed in the sticky. I don't have software yet so I'm wondering if most of the software markets can relate to each other (for example I might buy EFI Live and have a buddy with HP tuners with experience. Would he have a pretty good understanding of how EFI Live would work given that he knows HP tuners or vise versa? Just wondering how similar most of the software packages are. Give me an idea of how long it will take for a newbie like myself to tune a 402 with a Comp XER 238/240 112 & pretty good heads to get within 70% 80% and 95% of the (power/efficiency streetability) that a professional shop could do.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

The learning curve is steap and can be overwhelming at times. The stickies contian a lot of helpful information.

The concepts around tuning are the same no matter what suite you use. However, the tuning suites are unique to the respective companies.

Chad at www.greenlightmotorsports.com can get you set up with EFILive and a WB when you're ready.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What TA said, plus each tuning package has it's own forum where you can ask questions or bounce ideas around.

Some things like dialing in the VE and MAF tables are easier to do when you use feedback from a wideband O2 sensor.

And there are a few tune repositories, one of them may have a tune that matches your mods, which you can use as your starting base tune.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

learning curve is big.. but if you're willing to devote the time it's not bad.... (time time time eeewhat? ewwhat.. oookay! yeeaaaaah! ... sorry.. just saw dave chappelle's show in shitown )

but... no matter what learning is involved

but...... w/HPT Real time tuning for only 1 credit ..... get a buddy to watch your laptop and you're set next release .... REAL AUTOTUNE .... makes me wonder why people choose other options....

now that they're are affordable (sub 200 ) widebands out there... tuning is much easier

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/287094-read-me-first-tuning-docs-ve-maf-ses-lights-faqs-more-01-31-07-a.html

lots of walk throughs for EFI and HPT

regarding tune repositories.... NEVER use someone elses tune..... every car is different.... I run a tune/bin repository .... and I would NEVER tell anyone to use someone elses tune.....

tune for car xy w/mods abc ..... your car with mods abc will likely not perform the same (if all cars behaved the same then speed shops could advertise "guarantee 2 million horsepower w/our cam and heads)
Old 08-21-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mike's correct, don't just use someone else's tune...

but you can borrow their VE and spark tables to use as a starting base, meaning you will further modify those;

for example what starting VE table should someone start with in their 408/head-X/cam-Y...?
if they don't borrow a similar VE table, what VE table should they start with...?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
but...... w/HPT Real time tuning for only 1 credit ..... get a buddy to watch your laptop and you're set next release .... REAL AUTOTUNE .... makes me wonder why people choose other options....
but if you have a red-headed bastard step-child '98 ls1 like me then it doesn't matter......
Old 08-22-2006, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by horist
now that they're are affordable (sub 200 ) widebands out there... tuning is much easier

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287094
Which WB for 200?

I agree, there is a big learning curve but it's not impossible. You're doing the right thing reading as much as possible. I read everything for about 4-5 months, bought the software and it took me about a month to get comfortable with HPtuners and at that point I had my bolt on car tuned.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LC1 by innovate can be found for under $200

Ryan
Old 08-22-2006, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow
The LC1 by innovate can be found for under $200

Ryan

New or used?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do a search dude. New.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rambling here...

While the recommendation to not use someone elses tune makes sense, would that not be a viable option for at least getting the engine running?

I am trying to decide whether to purchase the programming up front, or purchase a tuning program. I am in the process of an LS1 conversion into my '56, and have zero experience with programming the computer. I've done some reading around here, and haven't found any basic threads or anything that indicates "To get it going do this". So, I'm concered I might not even get it started in the first place.

It sounds like the tuning should be expected to be a trial and error thing, based on the little bit of reading I have done. One thread in the stickies has a fairly detailed listing of things to do, but it doesn't go into much detail about why you are doing a specific thing, nor what teh goal of that specific setting is. And for example, it doesn't say if it is tuning for racing, or for fuel economy. And I'm thinking that if it doesn't make sense to use someone else's tune, then verbatum making settings to something posted isn't much different than that.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:46 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
but if you have a red-headed bastard step-child '98 ls1 like me then it doesn't matter......

+1

If you have a buddy with Hptuners, get Hptuners as you have someone that atleast has a basic understanding at your disposal. This puts you one step ahead of most of us. At first, you will learn how to setup the basic tables ie VE (fuel/air), Spark, RAF (Idle air flow), PE (WOT fueling), and idle RPM. Once you do a ton of reading and understand the functions of those tables, you can start diving in to some of the more advanced stuff. The "search" button is your friend and if you have a question, odds are that someone has already asked it and gotten 10 answers from knowledgeable people. You will learn to recognize the guys that know vs the guys talking out there ***. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah im 16, and thinking of asking for hpt for my birthday. Im pretty good with computers, and hopefully theirs enough guides out their so i wont screw anything up.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I'm brand new and kind of jumped into it. Now I have a 98 LS1 computer that I can't get back online (still need to research and try to write it over) and my second computer is sitting stock for now til I can learn the values and how to adjust them. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Logging is your friend, log until you know and can predict how the logs will look at idle, wot, cruise etc and understand why each value is the way it is. Then go tune.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ringram is right, you have to log alot before you actually make a change to your tune; you have to become very familiar with how you car is running, and why the logged values behave the way they do; the logs will also show you if some thing is wrong (e.g. air leak, ping, or DTC...) which you should fix before attempting any tuning.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"the logs will also show you if some thing is wrong (e.g. air leak, ping, or DTC...) which you should fix before attempting any tuning."

This can't be said enough. Use the logs to figure out errors. Nothing worse than trying to tune around a problem, then fixing a problem and having to retune. I've even went to dyno sessions and discovered problems and wasted my time and theirs, because I didn't make sure everything was in 100% working order before going. The only good side of that story is realizng without a doubt that the dyno is strictly a tool.

And read a lot and prepare to spend many waking hours thinking about your tuning. It's very very addicting. And a heck of a lot of fun.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

I got EFI Scan from GLMS and figured that was a good starting point. I did not spend the cash for the tune software because I wanted to see if I can handle the logging (no sense buying the whole package if you get stumped at logging). I think that was a good call, and I intend to upgrade to Tune in Oct.

I have started logging (I was particulary interested in why my dry shot was lean at a 75 shot). Found the reason in my first log. Out of injector, that simple (of course I had already wasted money on trying about $100 in different dry N2O nozzles).

By just dealing with the scan software, I learned about PID's how to select, move them, and set their priority, I then went on and learned how to make custom dash boards using the PIDs I selected, and how to filter the info scanned and make tables.

The Scan software has a demo feature so you can open Corvette tune (other cars are in the demo too), and look through the menu's using the tutorials included in the documentation.

Although I have not actually Tuned, I am confident I know what to do when I upgrade my injectors in the tables, from help at the forum, and from reading threads here that apply to injectors. I also feel confident in the VE steps and MAF tuning steps. I am really looking forward to actually make the changes and seeing the results.

Beer