PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to buy Hptuner software but... wideband?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Going to buy Hptuner software but... wideband?

Ok I am going to take the plunge and buy the HPtuner software, but I have some questions that I cant seem to find a right answer to. And the more I try to find in the posts Its just seems like i get more lost along the way.

Alright so I buy the software and I install it on the new laptop that I just bought for this reason lol, and the cable that comes with it. My question is about the wideband o2 LC1 sensor that I would buy to go along with the software. Im new to this but would I install the wideband in my stock o2 sensor plug, and if I did would it become narrowband... I dont understand the difference I guess. Basically how would I hook up a wideband sensor and do the wires come into the car and into the cable from the laptop? Or does the wideband hook up to the factory harness and the tune read the readings from the pcm?

Im sorry if this is stupid...
Old 08-18-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NemesisLS1
Ok I am going to take the plunge and buy the HPtuner software, but I have some questions that I cant seem to find a right answer to. And the more I try to find in the posts Its just seems like i get more lost along the way.

Alright so I buy the software and I install it on the new laptop that I just bought for this reason lol, and the cable that comes with it. My question is about the wideband o2 LC1 sensor that I would buy to go along with the software. Im new to this but would I install the wideband in my stock o2 sensor plug, and if I did would it become narrowband... I dont understand the difference I guess. Basically how would I hook up a wideband sensor and do the wires come into the car and into the cable from the laptop? Or does the wideband hook up to the factory harness and the tune read the readings from the pcm?

Ok, first you can install the wideband O2 where the narrowband used to be. You'll splice some of the wires into the factory narrowband harness. It will function both as a narrowband and a wideband.

You don't have to install it this way if you don't want to. You can always have a sensor bung (which comes with the wideband) welded into your exhaust and set up the wideband sensor totally independent of the narrowband.

As for a quick explanation of the difference between the two sensors, the wideband will give you an exact air-fuel ratio (i.e. 14.7), while the narrowband merely tells you if you're running rich or lean and is only accurate around 14.7 AFR.

As far as the wires, either way you set it up you'll have a few wires coming into your car to go to your laptop (and gauge if you run one). The PCM won't read the wideband output.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NemesisLS1
Definately not stupid. It's good you ask these things.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

LoWELL is right on all counts except that the PCM will read the input. Or, more accurately speaking, you can read the wideband input through the PCM. Search for 'wideband EGR' and read up on that.

HPTuners is a great product and I highly recommend it to everybody that asks (and most that don't ask, haha)
Old 08-19-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

If you do the splice method by replaing the narrow band in the existing bung then definatly buy a cheep O2 extension and hack that one up instead. That way everything is plug and play and still removable.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_sca...nstall_lc1.htm this should help...you can either hook it up to the hptuners hardware MPVI Pro version only or hook it up through the egr which a member did a writeup about in this section.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can get you setup with a LC1 or LM1 if you haven't purchased one yet.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:42 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black02SS
I can get you setup with a LC1 or LM1 if you haven't purchased one yet.
What you need to do if FLY down to Texas and finish my schooling of tuning And bring a wideband with you
Old 08-19-2006, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by foff667
http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_sca...nstall_lc1.htm this should help...you can either hook it up to the hptuners hardware MPVI Pro version only or hook it up through the egr which a member did a writeup about in this section.
Is that hooked through an EGR in this link? Because it looks like it is hooked up through the enhanced to interface connector.

Ok ok let me see If i can make any sense out of this. If I replace my o2 sensor with a wideband and dont wire it through the EGR then it will still just be a narrowband which is what the stock o2 is right? So that would defeat the purpose of the wideband.
Now if i am wiring the wideband through the EGR valve does the EGR valve have to be disconnected?

Ok so why do I connect it through the EGR signal line? Because the EGR line has a 0-5v reference signal and the wideband can utilize this signal as an input to the PCM?

And is this temporary?

Alright If i were to weld in a new bung and utilize a seperate port all together where would I weld it into the exhaust at? And I would only do this when I purchased new headers without cats.. Theres no way im messing with the stock ypipe and manifolds with 130K on the clock and rust thats as bad as a salt infested car from up north

And sorry umm if I did weld in a new port for a wideband I would run the sensor signal wires into the cab and into the port for the laptop? Does the personal programming through HPtuner allow for this?

Sorry guys for all the questions!
Old 08-19-2006, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

If you buy the pro version of HPT the wide band plugs directly into the interface and is read by the software. (which I would highly suggest)

You can still use it to emulate the narrow band with this configuration but you will take a couple of the wires and connect them to where the stock 02 sensor goes.

If you buy the standard interface then you have to find another way for the software to read the input from the WB ( ie egr ).

You can also use the WB to emulate the NB in this configuration.

Spend the extra $150 and get the pro and save yourself ALOT of headaches.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by molson
Spend the extra $150 and get the pro and save yourself ALOT of headaches.
that would be my suggestion too.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

the thing about going with pro instead of hooking up the WB through the EGR is this: Depending on the amount of things you're logging will determine how many frames per cycle you will achieve. if you have 24 different things being monitored, then you'll have 10 fps. 48 which is the max will be 5 fps. 12=20fps 6=fps. If you're logging say 13 pids, then you'll only get 10 fps because it falls into another range. However, the EIO always polls at 40fps. If i messed up somewhere or if its wrong, please correct or delete.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
What you need to do if FLY down to Texas and finish my schooling of tuning And bring a wideband with you
With the right amount of cash, I could be talked into coming down there to work for good.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black02SS
With the right amount of cash, I could be talked into coming down there to work for good.
LOL I might just get your *** down here for a weekend on me. Just so we can get it all down for good once and for all.