Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing & Power Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing & Power Question

A quick question about timing. I went an had a new 9” installed last week. When I was there the shops tuner went to switch the gear that was set in the computer.

I told the tuner I was having some problems with the car falling on its face about the 100’ mark at the track. So, he was nice enough to take a look at things. He stopped on the page where he can see my settings for timing. We said that they were not stick setting but not correct. He showed me and it slopped from 25 degrees falling off to 20 degrees. Since he had a car on the dyno and it was getting late in the day I didn’t want to ask to many questions.

He had quickly replied that he tries to go 27 degrees of timing. So, I no this is a stretch but I was wondering…..How much power loss there is with a car maxing at 25 degrees of timing and falling off quickly to 20 degrees compared to a car that is setup at 27 degrees and goes to 24 degrees?

I was just wondering how much power I am leaving on the table with the timing setup the way it is? I m going to have it retuned but I was curious. I am not real familiar with timing and it’s affect on the cars power.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give.

Bill
Old 08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its inpossible to say, as every car is different. Some motors want more timing than others. im not sure why it slopes down to 24? Is it a nitrous tune? With my mods I can run 27* no problem all the way up.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Its inpossible to say, as every car is different. Some motors want more timing than others. im not sure why it slopes down to 24? Is it a nitrous tune? With my mods I can run 27* no problem all the way up.

You can see my setup in my sig. below. I bought the car with the current setup.

The car never had nitrous on the car. I suspect the tuner just did not know how to tune very well.

I will have the car put on the dyno for a base number, then tuned. This will allow me to see what the differnce is. I was just wondering how much a 2-3 degree difference in timing can make HP wise?

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by Bill'sWS6; 08-28-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
You can see my setup in my sig. below. I bought the car with the current setup.

The car never had nitrous on the car. I ssupect the tuner just did not know how to tune very well.

I will have the car put on the dyno for a base number, then tuned. This will allow me to see what the differnce is. I was just wondering how much a 2-3 degree difference in timing can make HP wise?

Thanks,

Bill
If youre timing is way low, you may gain up to 10 HP with a couple degrees of timing. If its already near the edge, you wont gain anything.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
If youre timing is way low, you may gain up to 10 HP with a couple degrees of timing. If its already near the edge, you wont gain anything.
Thanks..Bill
Old 08-28-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

I'd be curious to see what you've got going on Bill. I might be down your way later this week. Would you mind if I took a peak at the tune? LMK...
Old 08-29-2006, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I'd be curious to see what you've got going on Bill. I might be down your way later this week. Would you mind if I took a peak at the tune? LMK...

Sent You A PM.

Thanks,

Bill