PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Retard. How much is O.K.?

Old 09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Retard. How much is O.K.?

I just got my HPtuners setup and am just learning. I am running a 1999 TA PCM with 2002 Camaro Bin and the LS6 spark, fuel and air tables from a 2002 Z06.

The engine is a 2002 LS6.

I was also running the injector tables from the Z06 but that seems to have been causing all sorts of problems. I tried to compensate by increasing fuel pressure and that didn't help.

So I put the Camaro injector tables back in and dropped the fuel pressure to 58 pounds and that seemed to help.

I disabled torque management in the transmission and my Gtech accelerometer is now reporting about a 20 HP increase. I seem to be on the right track but I have quite a ways to go.

The problem I am having right now, is that under WOT I get a bit of Knock retard. It is usually betweem 0-2 degrees, but it has hit 4 degrees.

I am running 93 octane fuel.

Is this something to worry about?

Also, just how smooth should my engine be. I've been in one corvette and you could hardly tell the engine was running (it was so smooth). My LS6 seems to have a very slight miss once in a while. How smooth are most cars here?

Sam
Old 09-04-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like to see any knock. Yes that is what the detector is for, and the retard is to keep it from happening again, but knock is a killer in high performance engines. If it keeps knocking, it will eat the top of the pistons at the edges of the ring lands. It is also causes wear on rod bearings. Lower your numbers in the main spark table, also check to see if it is knocking when you shift. Keep the fuel at 58, adjust everything else. Please put you car specs in your sig.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any exhaust mods done? I get KR too, but I think it's from my exhaust pipes hitting. Wierd thing is that I don't get KR on the dyno while tuning, but I get a tiney bit on the street. Take some timing away in that area and see if that helps. If not, it could be false KR.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see less than 2* on some WOT pulls & none on others. Is it safe to say that I am getting some false knock from my y pipe??
Old 09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also check your AFRs. Too lean will contribute to knocking.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

if you set your car in 5th gear at 60mph and decide to floor it you are going to get knock no matter what u do.

so knock under WOT , you want none
Old 09-27-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen more than .5 degree of KR. That was when my exhaust was banging too.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Do you have any exhaust mods done? I get KR too, but I think it's from my exhaust pipes hitting. Wierd thing is that I don't get KR on the dyno while tuning, but I get a tiney bit on the street. Take some timing away in that area and see if that helps. If not, it could be false KR.
this is the same problem im having. only get knock retard 2-4* if I floor it hard, but if i hit like 80% throttle i get nothing pretty sure its false. didnt get any on the dyno either (just a week ago) so what should i do?

Search this Thread