Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car will not idle at start up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will not idle at start up!

Crap! Every morning I go to work my 02 LS1 won't idle for crap! Anyone had this problem. It coughs, spits, sputters, and will die when clutch is engaged. Fight this for about 5 minutes and it finally acts right! Runs fine after that until you let it sit for a few hours and cool down, then it does it again. The car is throwing NO CODES! HELP? Thanks...
Old 09-05-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it would be somewhat helpful if you posted your list of mods and what tuning you have done so far.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken
it would be somewhat helpful if you posted your list of mods and what tuning you have done so far.
Sorry, motor is stock except for headers, Borla exhaust, and TNT 150 shot. Tuned car on Saturday "AGAIN" and it put 480 HP with 585 Torque on the juice. Dyno numbers etc all showed good when ran. I have had this problem now for about one month. I could not get it to act up when at the dyno as it was allready warmed up. 02 sensors read perfect. I have cleaned the Air box sensor and MAF last week with OD cleaner. Planning on changing the plugs today but I figured that if it was a plug it would have thrown a code ??Thanks....
Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

make your tuner look at it when cold so he can see whats going on.

we might be able to help if we can see a copy of your tune or a log file from when its cold.

seems like a relatively "stockish" motor so theres no reason for the mods to make it idle like doodee. I would suggest the tune is borked or somethings wrong mechanically.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

sounds like your fueling is off while in open loop. You might want to make sure your tuner didn't just tweak your MAF or IFR table to get the WOT fueling in line.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
sounds like your fueling is off while in open loop. You might want to make sure your tuner didn't just tweak your MAF or IFR table to get the WOT fueling in line.
What's strange about this is that it started a couple of weeks before the tune. Before that it ran fine for 6 months. (That's when I had the nitrous installed etc). It seems like it might be something mechanical but its throwing no codes. I dunno.. Will change plugs today and see if that helps.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Launching!

If it is a wet nitrous system make sure the fuel is not leaking past the fuel solenoid. Mine did and it had almost the same problem. Just a thought.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bigdeezs
If it is a wet nitrous system make sure the fuel is not leaking past the fuel solenoid. Mine did and it had almost the same problem. Just a thought.
Well, checked the fuel soleniod and its working fine. No leaks there. Problem is getting worse are the temps are colder in the morning now. Checked Vacuum lines and they look good.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

any codes stored?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ringram
any codes stored?
It is throwing no codes and none are being stored. I checked that this morning at Autozone when it was acting up. One important note is that it really seems to act worse as the weather gets colder. I am going to pull the TNT nitrous ring off and reinstall with black silicone thinking maybe there is a vacuum leak going on or something. Whatever it is, its not throwing a code so I have a feeling its something going on in that area.. I would think that if it was a stock componant, it would throw a code as I hear that the OB system in an 02 is notorious for throwing codes for just about every possible problem.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:49 AM
10 Second Club

So do you have a data logging tool? We really need to know basic things like what the a/f & IAC counts are when it's doing this before we can tell you anything useful. Otherwise you'll be shooting in the dark. There is just too much that could cause this....
Old 09-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2002ws6
It is throwing no codes and none are being stored. I checked that this morning at Autozone when it was acting up. One important note is that it really seems to act worse as the weather gets colder. I am going to pull the TNT nitrous ring off and reinstall with black silicone thinking maybe there is a vacuum leak going on or something. Whatever it is, its not throwing a code so I have a feeling its something going on in that area.. I would think that if it was a stock componant, it would throw a code as I hear that the OB system in an 02 is notorious for throwing codes for just about every possible problem.
My guess is a vacuum leak. Had similar problem on cold mornings, replaced all the vacuum lines with silicone tubing and problem disapeared.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cincyrider
My guess is a vacuum leak. Had similar problem on cold mornings, replaced all the vacuum lines with silicone tubing and problem disapeared.
I was leaning in that direction yesterday. Will try to test for leak this weekend again and see if I can find one. Thank you..