Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tune or no tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune or no tune

search doesnt work so here it goes.....will i notice much difference from a dyno tune?? as far as how the car drives, power, and the awfull fuel smell??

my only mods are :lid,Lt headers,ory.

ive been running w/out a tune for almost 3 months.

one more q, the ory bangs on the bottom of the car, what can i do to fix this ...ive heard of a heater hose ...but not sure
Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

the dyno tune isnt going to get you any major hp increases, but it will gain you some. with those mods, id say maybe 5 to 10 hp. the tune will benifit you in other areas. you can have your rear o2's deleted, torque management deleted if auto, skip shift if 6spd, etc... plus, i read that our cars come rich out of the factory and adding LT's will make it even worse. if you dont have any other mods your going to do anytime soon, id do it, but thats just me.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 001_ls1
search doesnt work so here it goes.....will i notice much difference from a dyno tune?? as far as how the car drives, power, and the awfull fuel smell??

my only mods are :lid,Lt headers,ory.

ive been running w/out a tune for almost 3 months.

one more q, the ory bangs on the bottom of the car, what can i do to fix this ...ive heard of a heater hose ...but not sure
You would pick up a couple HP from a tune, but alot of people will tell you that if you're planning more mods. Save the cash and wait until you have your major mods done.

I fixed the ORY banging by squeezing one of those thick exhaust hangers in there.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

I have a friend that has HP Tuners so he tuned my car for free. The main thing he did was tune out all the emissions garbage so I could pass emissions. I can't feel an improvment in HP really but what I do notice is the under the curve increase. When you just blimp the throttle it reacts much quicker and get's it up to speed faster. So for the money I wouldn't do it until you have a cam or some larger mods.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Dont spend the money on a tune yet (not really worth it w/ current mods) and unless you forgot to list it get a catback instead.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unSStoppable
Dont spend the money on a tune yet (not really worth it w/ current mods) and unless you forgot to list it get a catback instead.
ive got flowmasters i do plan on getting a manual cut out inthe next couple of weeks, i know hp gain wont be much, i really want it for the sound. i guess ill make up for what ever the flowmasters take away.

$400 seems like alot to me too, but my car has 55k on it and as off now i dont plan on getting a cam or any other internals, maybe around 75k+ or so, or when i save some $$. i only put about 6k or less a yr. my car does seem to run a bit sluggish.

ive just read a bunch of threads saying that it is a good idea to get it tuned after lt's....i know some shops have the life tune,so if i ever was to get a cam or so i could always take it back and get it tuned for free....

i was just under the impression that a tune would make the car run better. i already have the o2 sims.oh and would it get rid of the fuel smell as well??
Old 09-07-2006, 01:30 AM
12 Second Club

i agree with some of what has been said. if you plan on doing a cam or mods similar that require a tune, dont get one yet. otherwise, what are you waiting for. you could easliy drop a few tenths on your quarter mile time with a good tune, plus your gas mileage will be better, IMHO.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zach_ws6
i agree with some of what has been said. if you plan on doing a cam or mods similar that require a tune, dont get one yet. otherwise, what are you waiting for. you could easliy drop a few tenths on your quarter mile time with a good tune, plus your gas mileage will be better, IMHO.

believe it or not i have yet to take my car to the track ..... but im maily worried about the side affects of running rich....and wether it would make the car run better (street). i'd say it might be 2-3 yrs before i get the cam....but you never really know, once you start modding you cant stop

how long can i go w/out a tune w/my current mods???

i did forget to mention that i have a 01 z28 a4

Last edited by 001_ls1; 09-07-2006 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

$400 is probably about average for a tune. IMO, it is worth it after headers.

I had the LTs on my car for about a week before I got the tune. It was a big difference after. We only picked up about 7hp with the tune, but the overall throttle response and driveablility was really improved. Down low, up top, everywhere it felt stronger. I felt a bigger difference after I got the tune than after I installed the headers.

Alot of it lies in the tuner, the guy that did mine used ls1edit and is a very good tuner. It also varies from car to car. Personally, I'm really glad I got the tune, car runs alot better.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

a tune is damn well worth it but your sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to doing it because the lack of mods you have but you have to remember

YOU DO NOT GET THE FULL POTENTIAL OUT OF YOUR HEADERS WITHOUT A TUNE

BASICALLY IM SAYING HEADERS ARE WORTHLESS UNLESS YOUR GETTING A TUNE hell my buddy dynoed 303 then put on long tubes then got 307 then got a tune and it moved to 333 and it was done by one of the best tuners imho not sure if he is a sponser or not but its jeremy formato everyone is framiliar with him

MODS IF I PLACED THE NAME AND IT SHOULD NOT BE HERE IM SORRY AND COULD YOU PLEASE REMOVE IT. THANK YOU
Old 09-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Same question for me guys: Mods are(even if they are trivial):

SLP STB
SLP SFC's
SLP Flowpac
Holley Air Filter
P/P Throttle Body
Bump Stop Mod
SLP Y-Pipe
Cut Out
!MAF Screen
TB Bypass

By spring I'll probably have a torque converter and gears waiting to be put in... what do you guy's think?

Last edited by azab21; 09-07-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4merlt1user
it was done by one of the best tuners imho not sure if he is a sponser or not but its jeremy formato everyone is framiliar with him

MODS IF I PLACED THE NAME AND IT SHOULD NOT BE HERE IM SORRY AND COULD YOU PLEASE REMOVE IT. THANK YOU
He tuned my car, and he is a sponsor
Old 09-08-2006, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by azab21
Same question for me guys: Mods are(even if they are trivial):

SLP STB
SLP SFC's
SLP Flowpac
Holley Air Filter
P/P Throttle Body
Bump Stop Mod
SLP Y-Pipe
Cut Out
!MAF Screen
TB Bypass

By spring I'll probably have a torque converter and gears waiting to be put in... what do you guy's think?
If it were me, I would do all that plus headers and then get the tune, or do all that minus screwing with the MAF, and not get a tune.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

A tune gave me .2 in the 1/4 mile before the tune my headers showed no
gain in the 1/4 mile.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

well I personally think a tune is WAY worth it even without alot of mods. I have very few on my 02 TA with a cat back magnaflow and 3.73 gears and when the guy from HP did the tune we went for a drive real world tune much better if you ask me we found I was only making 18 timing total when it should be around 28. He deleted all the emissions crap and also turned my car into speed density there by eliminating the MAF all together. Changed the fuel maps to get my fuel properly with the new timing changed the rear gears in the computer, increased my tranny shifting firmness alot and it feels GREAT!!!! Well worth the money.