PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok guys I am bamboozled!

Old 09-19-2006, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok guys I am bamboozled!

I took the stock motor out of a '98 TA and replaced it with a '99 engine that was provided to me by the customer. During the removal of the stock motor the wires going to the crank position sensor got pinched in two. I put the wires back together and in went the new motor. Well we got it all buttoned up and the car will not start. It will turn over and everything but it will not fire off. The tach doesn't register anything while the engine is cranking. The SES light IS on but the motor hasn't even fired off yet. I tried to hook up EFILive to the car to pull codes and check everything out but it will not connect to the vehicle but it will connect just fine to the car next to it. The coil pack connectors do get "key on" 12 volts. We have checked all of the fuses and all is well. We checked and it is getting fuel too. I am at a loss as to what is going on?

Does anybody have ant idea as to why the car will not start?

Or why EFILive won't connect?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure why pinching the crank position sensor wires would disable the PCM. Check all the fuses in the end of the dash and under the hood. It shouldn't have blown the fuse if you had the battery disconnected when swapping the engine. If a fuse has gone an the PCM is not power up then EFILive wont connect and the car wont start, it would be nice if its just the fuse, hope it is.

If the crank position wires are not making connecting then it wonr fire, the PCM requires a reading from that sensor to know when to fire.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

Also make sure the cigareette lighter is working the EFILive cable gets power through this circuit
Old 09-20-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Thanks that fuse was in fact blown, I will EFILive it and update you guys later on.

Last edited by ThaLS1KidII; 09-20-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Well we threw the EFILive on there to pull the codes and there were none found. We are going to ohm out the wires that got broken and see if they might be broke somewhere else.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaLS1KidII
Well we threw the EFILive on there to pull the codes and there were none found. We are going to ohm out the wires that got broken and see if they might be broke somewhere else.

Any other ideas?
If the fuse has gone the the PCM wasn't alive to record any codes. How did you get on with the wire checking? did it ohm out okay? does it start now or is it the same as when the PCM fuse had gone?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
If the fuse has gone the the PCM wasn't alive to record any codes. How did you get on with the wire checking? did it ohm out okay? does it start now or is it the same as when the PCM fuse had gone?

This is incorrect the fuse for the cigarette light oNLY powers the OBD2 port for use with your favorite scanning software

Search this Thread