PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Trans Am Hates Me.....! WTF IS UP!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Trans Am Hates Me.....! WTF IS UP!?!

My car has been in the body shop for 4 weeks now, and whenever they "plan" on having it done, something happens. Whether it be parts on backorder that they didnt know about, or something with the car. Well, today, the car acted up once again. According to them, when they start it and put their foot on the break, the car completely shuts down, nothing will work. Now, it runs, and the tach doesnt work. Its like the car doesnt want to go home. Does anybody know what would cause the car to shut off like that? and if the tach not working has something to do with it? I had the car for only about 3 weeks before i hydroplaned and had NO problems with the electrical system. I am lost and confused, and the worst part is, I am starting to hate my trans am......
Old 09-20-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check for loose or unconnected ground wires. Sounds like wiring is causing this.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

underneath the car? because thats the only place that coulda got hit, i ran over a bush, busting my passenger fender and then uprooting the bush...
Old 09-20-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blown00ls1
underneath the car? because thats the only place that coulda got hit, i ran over a bush, busting my passenger fender and then uprooting the bush...
look everywhere for a missing ground wire, there are a few of them.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the O2 sensor wires, if they have been ripped out, there is 5v and GND on them I beleive if these touch something I guess the PCM could shut down or do odd things. I guess a bush could rip this out.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
Check the O2 sensor wires, if they have been ripped out, there is 5v and GND on them I beleive if these touch something I guess the PCM could shut down or do odd things. I guess a bush could rip this out.
does anybody else have any input on this? could that completely goof up my car? I guess the TACH and the SPEEDO are no longer working. I am lost, they are lost, we're all just LOST!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Default Haul it to GM dealer

Sounds like 'enough is enough'. Just pay the bucks and get it to a GM dealer. Start fresh. They will fix it. Too much aggravation otherwise. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am at a GM dealer already lol
Old 09-22-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

That's NOT good!! I'm really sorry. If GM is clueless then I have no answer.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 for a ground wire

You could always just try slapping a new battery in.
Here's a theory: You crashed and some wires shorted out. The car sat, shorted out, for a day or more and deeply drained your battery. The shop fixed it up, put it back together, found your battery was dead, and recharged it. If this is close to the truth, your batter is not holding a good charge.

You'd be suprised at how many times a new battery has fixed my cars!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Launching!

If you have access to a scanner (HPT), hook it up to the PCM/VCM port and see what Voltages you are getting to the PCM/VCM. Should be around 12.0 no lower than 10V if your battery is good. You will also be able to check and see if your tac and speedo really work or if its still a wiring problem.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blown00ls1
does anybody else have any input on this? could that completely goof up my car? I guess the TACH and the SPEEDO are no longer working. I am lost, they are lost, we're all just LOST!
I'll trade you my winter truck for it. Then you won't have to fix it. my truck loves bushes! Takes them out and keeps go'in with no damage.

Just my input on the matter
Old 09-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

The first thing I would do is to check your battery voltage. It needs to be 12ish when the car is off. Then start it and check the voltage again. It should read 14 volts. What it sounds to me like maybe the batery has a loose plate in it, and when bumped right the battery plate slides and shorts the battery out. If everything looks good then plug the scanner in and look at what all the sesors are doing. Other than that it is possible to be a ground. Hope that helps.

P.S. By the way if that doesn't help, pull a spark plug, see what the motor is doing, there is a possibility that the car is flooding itself out because of one of the input sesors.