Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snap-on Solus

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snap-on Solus

I don't know if this is in the right forum, mods please move if need be.

Anybody have one? Love it? Hate it? Let's hear your experiences with it. I can get one for $3000 and the dealer might add some upgrades or so he says.

Thanks!
Rich
Old 09-22-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

What are you going to use it for? If your going to work on multiple lines of vehicles it's a good option, but if you just want a scan tool to work on your own car just get a tech II. I hated the layout of all the snap on scanners, it takes too long to set it up for a vehicle, and it takes alot of playing around to figure out whats what.

I have never used a solo myself, but I have used the red brick, the motis, and the vantage and I hated them with a passion. But that was only because I am a GM specific kinda guy, and I knew I had better options (tech II and gmdealerworld.com). But then again if you want to work on more than just GM the tech II will do you no good on those cars.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Being the only mechanic in my group of friends, I'll be using it on all makes, (except VW ) The Mac one is half price, maybe I'll check out that one. I've only used the old red brick MT scanner so I'm pretty familiar with it.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have used the MAC et9640 also I and would stick to the snap on over any of the mac and matco scanners. The snap on scanners will be your best investment since you want to do multiple vehicle lines.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:54 PM
wrencher

I have one it is a decent scanner.
I work on almost everything & it seems to do well.
It is domestic car strong, cept it wont do some ford suspension systems modules.
I have the Euro update it is good for MB BMW real strong on audi VW.
The jap cars it has spotted coverage mostly laking bi-directional control on alot of them. I see few that it can control evap vent solenoids for example.
But for an all around tool it is good.
You need it & a mastertech to work on multi-vehicles IMO.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a couple mt2500 (the brick), a couple to vantage, a vantage pro, and a modis. I HAD a solus and hated the thing. The biggest complaint I had was the battery life and if the thing had a removable battery like the vantage pro and the modis it would be a decent scanner. Software wise is the same as the modis and the brick if it is updated but the Solus that I owned was a battery hog. May not be a problem for you if you are not using it constantly all day.????
Old 09-24-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A genesys should do the job for you and they are not so bad on price. If you are only working on Gm stuff, i would suggest just getting EFILive scan tool. It does everything that those handhelds do and more, but is only $249.00
Old 09-24-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah if your not going to be working on that many cars i would def get a genysys they are great for all cars....or just pay for an online download scan tool that you upload onto a laptop or palm...id rather have a tech 2 then any of them because i only work on gm's but thats mostly because thats the only scan tool ive got to read my 97 with an obd1 conversion
Old 01-10-2007, 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to dig this up but I didn't get anything yet wanted to do more research. When you guys talk about the genisys you're talking about the OTC brand right?

Any links you guys can recommend to download a scanner program if I decide to use a laptop?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Check out auto-enginuity. Its a pc based scan tool. It would require a PC, laptops are more portable but I've heard of guys putting a desktop on a cart. I don't exactly remember the price, but it is way cheaper up front (including buying PC) and updates are CHEAP.Here is the address, check it out. http://www.autoenginuity.com/
Old 01-11-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

good deal go for. it i love it.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Another option would be the Ease software scanning system. You can scan everything from PCM, BCM, to how the electric door locks are operating. It is a module system, so you can buy PCM, enhanced parameters, BCM, etc. The cable is bidiretional and you can black box log, load OEM tunes etc. Costs start at 700 and go up as modules are added.

Quick Reply: Snap-on Solus