Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp maf and ms4???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default slp maf and ms4???

I currently have all the boltons including a slp maf and was wondering if this will be ok to add the magic stick 4 cam and get it tuned with out too many problems. I have read before slp maf cause tuning problems with cams??? thanks
Old 10-18-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would sell the SLP maf and go back to the stock screened one, much easier to tune on. Also make sure you have some good valvetrain to go along with that cam.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what he said ^^^. SLP MAF= pissed off tuner
Old 10-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

If SLP MAF = Pissed off tuner, then I would find another tuner.
If you already have the SLP unit then oh well...
The 85mm truck MAF would be a cheaper alternative.

Bottom line if the "tuner" doesn't understand or cannot accomplish simply removing the added resistor with a soldering iron and rescaling the the MAF with a wideband O2 as he/she should/would do with any MAF based fueling setup after re-doing the VE tables then I would look elsewhere for tuning.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc
If SLP MAF = Pissed off tuner, then I would find another tuner.
If you already have the SLP unit then oh well...
The 85mm truck MAF would be a cheaper alternative.

Bottom line if the "tuner" doesn't understand or cannot accomplish simply removing the added resistor with a soldering iron and rescaling the the MAF with a wideband O2 as he/she should/would do with any MAF based fueling setup after re-doing the VE tables then I would look elsewhere for tuning.
Which part of the SLP Maf needs to be removed?! You have any pics?! I'd love to learn how to retune my car with my SLP Maf. I put my stocker back on because I couldn't tune for it and didn't know how to modify the SLP Maf.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Which part of the SLP Maf needs to be removed?! You have any pics?! I'd love to learn how to retune my car with my SLP Maf. I put my stocker back on because I couldn't tune for it and didn't know how to modify the SLP Maf.

Thanks
Yes,anyone who has it please share this info. I'd really rather not go back to the stock MAF since I already have the 85mm lid.....
Old 10-19-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
Yes,anyone who has it please share this info. I'd really rather not go back to the stock MAF since I already have the 85mm lid.....
I was talking with Doc in PM and he said that you can take out the resistor with a soldering iron and then rescale your maf with a wideband. Here's the link for how to scale the Maf with EFI Live.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ghlight=tuning
Old 10-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Sorry I can't find any pics of when I still had the resistor in the SLP MAF, that was years ago. It is obviously different from the stock components. Don't just grab your dad's Weller soldering gun and start ripping things out. If you want to remove it be sure to take it to a qualified solder tech. I am not going to go into a soldering class on how to remove it. Rescaling any MAF these days is really quite simple via the major tuning suites. Take your pick and get a wideband and you are set. There are numerous links on the big suites' forums on how to rescale.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Doc
Sorry I can't find any pics of when I still had the resistor in the SLP MAF, that was years ago. It is obviously different from the stock components. Don't just grab your dad's Weller soldering gun and start ripping things out. If you want to remove it be sure to take it to a qualified solder tech. I am not going to go into a soldering class on how to remove it. Rescaling any MAF these days is really quite simple via the major tuning suites. Take your pick and get a wideband and you are set. There are numerous links on the big suites' forums on how to rescale.
Much appreciated Doc!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

as long as you dial in the VE table and then go to dial in the MAF by using AFR %error any MAF will work. if you more info i suggest looking into putting your car in Open loop with the fuel trims, making a PID in hptuners or efi live and then changing the VE according to the fuel trims. then grabbing a wideband (you will need one anyway one day) and logging the MAF frequency with AFR %error

there ya go! VE table dialed in, MAF table dialed in, and fuel trims should be + - 4 if not better than that