Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really odd electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really odd electrical problem.

I have checked the threads and I haven't seen this problem anywhere else.
When I try to start my car sometimes it won't even turn over. It clicks multiple times. Almost like the starter is going bad. After a couple of times it will start. I have checked the battery and the output of the alternator and those two items are fine. The starter may be going out but here is the other symptom. This has happened about three times while driving the car. At highway speed I hear a pop from the speakers and the whole dash lights up. the electrical system seems to be in a cycle of "resets" During this I can feel the gas pedal and brake pedal pulse with the power loss. Even the steering wheel get loose and tight. It's like a total power failure. The engine still runs but it sounds as though the fuel system is shutting down and coming back online almost on the second. Off,on,off,on and so on. Usually to get this to stop I have to pull over shut the car completely down wait about twenty seconds and restart. After I do this it is fine, but there is no warning sign except a loud droning whine from the speakers. Sometimes when I start the car it throttles up and down like its trying to get fuel to the system. It's almost like the security system is cutting off the fuel supply. I know all this sounds pretty wierd. I can't help but think that it all is related in some fashion. Here's the kicker the computer is throwing no codes not a single one and of course when i took it to the shop, the symptoms wouldn't show. I'm pretty much at a loss and any help would be greatly appreciated guys!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Look for loose or corroded electrical connections, especially the ground connections. Take a look around the starter for wire issues too.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Corroded terminals usually wouldn't fluctuate so much, so you almost certainly have a loose connection. Also, this almost never happens, but you could have a broken plate in your battery. However, this is HIGHLY unlikely.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

I had the battery tested.....Would it test okay when the car is sitting still and then flucuate when the car is moving? That would be a alot easier to fix.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gametech
Corroded terminals usually wouldn't fluctuate so much, so you almost certainly have a loose connection. Also, this almost never happens, but you could have a broken plate in your battery. However, this is HIGHLY unlikely.
Found out the problem.....Battery went dead this past sunday evening. So I went to autozone and had them check it again. This time the battery was dead. So I replaced it. When we removed the old battery, the positive terminal on the battery was coming losse from the batter case itself. It actually ended up breaking off. the battery casing. Wierdest thing I have ever seen. Put in the battery and no problems at all now.
Thanks for everyone's help though.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

must have been a delco. they're ****.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Teching In

I am having the same symptoms with my '02 WS-6, except it starts ok. Last night I noticed a faint electrical whine from the speakers before it happened. I have been thinking it is the battery or battery connection, as I still have the stock battery. I will check tonight. I have read a few reviews about this problem but this is the first that I have seen where the problem was found and reported.

Another post with this problem:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=guage+problem