PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many wideband o2 oxygen sensors do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How many wideband o2 oxygen sensors do I need?

I just ordered my Hptuner and I understand that in order to tune the air/fuel ratio on my 00 Camaro SS, I need to change out my stock O2 (oxygen) sensors to wideband sensors. Does that mean that I change all four of them or do I just change the two that are after the cat or just the two before the cat? Thanks
Old 10-21-2006, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS_KID
I just ordered my Hptuner and I understand that in order to tune the air/fuel ratio on my 00 Camaro SS, I need to change out my stock O2 (oxygen) sensors to wideband sensors. Does that mean that I change all four of them or do I just change the two that are after the cat or just the two before the cat? Thanks
You do not change out your factory 02's for widebands. You can buy one LM1 or whatever brand Wideband & install it on your exhaust pipe by welding a new 02 bung. The benefit is very accurate air fuel ratio monitoring for tuning.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

i think the LM1 can also function as narrow band so you can replace one of your sensors, have it send narrowband to the PCM and wideband to a gauge or whatever. and i dont think you can tune individual banks on stock pcm so its only worth it to get one wideband IIRC...
Old 10-21-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

To get started you just need one. Use the supplied bung to mount the WBO2 pre-cats. Or if you do not have cats about 3 feet from the end of the exhaust. No need to replace your NB 02. Although I believe, not totally sure, some wideband controller like the LC-1 can simulate NB if you wire it up properly. In which case you could just replace the NB.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Both the LC-1 and the LM-1 can simulate a narrow band (NB). What does this mean to you? For starters, you can just remove one of your existing NB sensors (before the cat) and screw in the Innovate supplied wideband.

The drawback...yes there is always a drawback or three... is that if the WB takes a crap (which has been known to happen from time to time ) the bank that the WB is in will run like absolute shiz.

Quick Reply: How many wideband o2 oxygen sensors do I need?