Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoothing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smoothing

Ok, noobie here. I'm tuning my C6 with a 403. I'm going to let you know what I'm doing just in case I'm doing something wrong but my first question is in regards to smoothing the VE. I've got the MAF off via the fail freqs. I've got the PE table at 1.13 (friend told me that would set it stoic and its like turning it off) and I'm tuning the VE table using an LM1. Everything seems to be going well and I am pasting "special" using my % VE error table in the scanner.

My question is after I paste I know I'm supposed to hand smooth the table using the 3D deal or the 2D deal. I'm just not sure what constitutes needing smoothing. How big a dip or peak should I dork with and what should I dork it to? Also, at what point should I consider my table "good", when the % error is less than what across the board? If somebody could explain this a little further it would help me out... thanks.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In terms of smoothing the part throttle and normal driving areas most of the rows and columns will incrementally increase. I use this as a way to determine how to smooth. ie. each cell goes up by 2 (80,82,84) then one cell goes up by 5 (80,82,84,89,90). You'll see a spike on that 5 cell so I'll back that down and log again. As you get the tune closer to right you'll want to increase the number of cell hits in the histogram for logging so you have to hit each cell more times to get the logging results. This will help dial the tune in.

As for % error. You want the numbers to be 0 or 1 either way. It's completely possible and reasonable to get the tune this accurate.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AintQik
I've got the PE table at 1.13 (friend told me that would set it stoic and its like turning it off) and I'm tuning the VE table using an LM1.
1.13 in the PE commands a 13.0:1 AFR. Stoich = 14.63 and 14.63/1.13=12.95. Ideally, you should set the open loop fueling table to 14.63 across the board for temps greater than when your t-stat opens (ie operating temps). Set your PE table where you want it. Then, log the AFR %error. Don't over smooth the VE. Some natural valleys/mounds may exist. Get it close to where your %error is .98~1.02. Then, kick on the MAF and adjust the MAF based on %error. Increasing the MAF table before you do this is not a bad idea. I'd do at least a 30% increase above 8,000Hz since you have more cubes and blend in the lower part of the table (so there's not an instant 30% increase). Log, adjust, rinse, and repeat. Restore the open loop fueling table, closed loop operation, LTFT's and low octane spark when finished.