Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handheld Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Handheld Tuners

i understand that the ls1 edit is the best tune for lsx motors.and or a shop dyno tune but in my area (kansas city)finding a tune is next to impossible.
so my question is should a hand held like a slp diablo work for just simple bolt
ons..long tubes/air lid off road pipe.i have been fighting my tune since my installs.slp says there must be something wrong with my car.i have had it checked by two diff shops.but neither do tunes.and i'm told the only problem is with the tune in my pcm.i'm new to this forum and any input would
be greatly appriciated...
Old 10-24-2006, 02:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran off my stock tune for MONTHS with no issue after I did LT's, air lid, 3500 stall converter, & shift kit...the only drawback was the ses light from the long tubes with no cats.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Vinci tuner wont throw any codes with longtubes or deleted cats. The O2 tables are so high that as long as the rear o2s are hooked up, but zip tied to the frame then there are no SES lights. Im very happy with mine, plus the customer service is awesome! And it will work on a 98.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RED91701
i understand that the ls1 edit is the best tune for lsx motors.and or a shop dyno tune but in my area (kansas city)finding a tune is next to impossible.
so my question is should a hand held like a slp diablo work for just simple bolt
ons..long tubes/air lid off road pipe.i have been fighting my tune since my installs.slp says there must be something wrong with my car.i have had it checked by two diff shops.but neither do tunes.and i'm told the only problem is with the tune in my pcm.i'm new to this forum and any input would
be greatly appriciated...
What are the problems you are having with your car? Have you tried returning to stock, to see if these problems persist? Try Diablosport tech support, 561-908-0040, ask for Mike.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Teching In

THANKS FOR THE REPLY..i'll try to explain,,my car seems to run fine after about
2000-2200 rpm.but from idle it stumbles and at about 1-2 gear shift point it sounds
like it "burps" or "barks" almost like it's got a cheap mffler system on it i have a corsa cat back that i've been running for the last 4 years w/o problems.throttle response is
poor and it just does not rap as smooth up till 20/2200 rpm's.at the low rpm's it just
doesnt pull as good as stock.i've switched out pcm's maf's frrom a slp unit and no change.the car has run like this since the lt install.i have re-checked everything i can think of???vacum shows good all sensors workin fuel pressure.my readings on my diablo
sometimes are way out of wack.lft's +7.44 at idle o2's from 45 up to 920???i called slp
and diablo thinki i have a bad programmer but they don't seem to think a reprogram would help.they say my car is the problem.i even went so far as to offer for a fee to diablo to put it the way they do it and change it from the slp tune.no dice???though
thanks for your time.i'm just a family guy who is still lucky to be able to tinker yet
3 babies and all..
Old 10-24-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you took out the right O2 sensor? Don't read this and think I'm crazy, but when I deleted my cats and put in the O2 sims, I took out the front O2 sensor on one of the sides...the car felt like it would have insane power and then just fall on its face and beg for mercy! Serious misfires...crazy timing curves...etc. Check that...or check your front O2 sensors at least. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

2000-2200 rpm.but from idle it stumbles and at about 1-2 gear shift point it sounds
like it "burps" or "barks" almost like it's got a cheap mffler system on it i have a corsa cat back that i've been running for the last 4 years w/o problems.throttle response is
poor and it just does not rap as smooth up till 20/2200 rpm's.at the low rpm's it just
doesnt pull as good as stock.i've switched out pcm's maf's frrom a slp unit and no change.the car has run like this since the lt install.i have re-checked everything i can think of???vacum shows good all sensors workin fuel pressure.my readings on my diablo
sometimes are way out of wack.lft's +7.44 at idle o2's from 45 up to 920???i called slp
and diablo thinki i have a bad programmer but they don't seem to think a reprogram would help.they say my car is the problem.i even went so far as to offer for a fee to diablo to put it the way they do it and change it from the slp tune.no dice???though
thanks for your time.i'm just a family guy who is still lucky to be able to tinker yet
3 babies and all..
I think your car is the problem to from your description...I would go back over everything.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

3 babies and all..
Im not sure about the tunes in the SLP predator, but Diablosport recommends a custom tune for long-tube headers, this sounds like the answer to your problems. I've also had poor experiences with the SLP MAF, definitely lost alot of low-end with that. Keep us posted...