PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car keeps maintains throttle once gas is let off....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car keeps maintains throttle once gas is let off....

Is this a tuning issue? I just got a new cam put in and, now that it's tuned, the car doesn't seem to let go of the throttle. if i want the car to slow down I have to brake the car. It doesn't mean that I mind it, but I'm going to be going through brakes a lot quicker. is this a tuning issue, a possible characteristic of the cam, or a hardware problem w/ the throttle position sensor? Thank you very much.

Reo. :-)
Old 10-29-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Throttle cracker. It's in the tune. Do some searches on throttle cracker...
Old 10-29-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by reocamaro
now that it's tuned
Better yet have your tuner search this section and then fix it for you
Old 10-29-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
LOL that is funny!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Idle airflow table set too high could cause it.

I've also seen guys like Jeff Creech bump the idle way up to compensate for lack of ability to idle tune.....that could be your trouble too....

Last edited by jay_99z; 10-29-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, having the idle airflow up higher is not a bad thing as long as you re adjust all of the other tables that are effected. When you add air to the main table, then all the others are effected. Hence why they are saying the throttle cracker table is needed to be lowered. They are 100% correct on the cause. It is a simple fix.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He might have set the idle rpm too high in drive. What kind of converter do you have? With a loose converter it's not a big deal but with a stock converter, going from a 550 rpm idle to 800 rpm idle, you'll definately be riding the brakes. If the rpms are higher than the programmed idle speed, then yeah, i'd say look at the throttle cracker/airflow tables. Either way, find out what your idle rpm in drive is set at.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Idle airflow table set too high could cause it.

I've also seen guys like Jeff Creech bump the idle way up to compensate for lack of ability to idle tune.....that could be your trouble too....
It's funny you mention that name. Any idea on who did my tune? He's always done a really good job on my tuning problems in the passed. But the last time things went south (after I blew out my rear main seal) and he had to continue the tuning w/ only one barely legitimate pull.

I've always been, and still am, on his side, but I think it's time I start looking for some tuners local to the Virginia Beach area.

Last edited by reocamaro; 10-29-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

It's funny you mention that name. Any idea on who did my tune? He's always done a really good job on my tuning problems in the passed. But the last time things went south (after I blew out my rear main seal) and he had to continue the tuning w/ only one barely legitimate pull.

I've always been, and still am, on his side, but I think it's time I start looking for some tuners local to the Virginia Beach area.
I'm not going to completely bash Creech. He gets good dyno numbers but his street tuning sucks. I have yet to see anyone happy with their idle and driveablity after the dyno numbers wear off. And most of the time he will blame it on a mechanical problem with the car. Spark, vacuum leak, etc.

If you are looking for a good dyno sheet go to Creech. If you are looking for good street manners....you are better off looking for someone local that can take the time to make it right. Or.....get HPTuners or EFILive and start learning yourself. It's really not as hard as it sounds to learn....
Old 10-30-2006, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like said above.The idle air is probly adjusted too much or the TB has been opened too much.Just needs some fine tuning.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Old 10-31-2006, 02:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by brad8266
Yeah, you guys got me! Let me just go tell Jeff Creech he needs to do some more reading, and while I'm at it I'll tell Randy Johnson he sucks as a pitcher and Michael Irvin can't catch. Totally
Old 10-31-2006, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

Or you could ask him if he changed your idle speed in drive and if so to lower it again.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, you guys got me! Let me just go tell Jeff Creech he needs to do some more reading, and while I'm at it I'll tell Randy Johnson he sucks as a pitcher and Michael Irvin can't catch. Totally
maybe you shouldnt tell jeff creech to do some more reading.... but i know i sure as hell could give him a few pointers... i have yet to see a tune from him that I couldnt improve the driveability on...

and im NOT a "professional tuner"... i just do it with friends for fun.

the guy is too much of a hardheaded ***** to take anyone's advice or criticism.... and he doesnt make any solid attempts to learn new things.

and thats why his tuning style is still stuck in the 1999 era...
he really DOES need to do some reading... i dont recommend "learning to tune online"... but i do recommend learning what you can about how the damn computer program works, rather then learning by "cause and effect" tuning...

however from your attitude above, im going to deduce you'll take it as a bash on him as a person, and just come back with a cocky smartass remark instead of either asking for specific examples, or taking the advice.... honestly you should think about if you have something worthwild to say to the conversation before replying, but i doubt you will.

Last edited by MrDude_1; 11-01-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

No, really, tell me how you really feel

Defend him? Not really. What you said minus the explitives (and your dumbass comments towards me) seems to be fairly accurate. A couple weeks ago, I would not have sided w/ you, but I learned to correct my mistake and I'm looking for a new place to tune in the Virginia area. I hear RPM is pretty decent.

And PS. This is my f'ning thread. I'll say whatever the hell I want.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

No, really, tell me how you really feel

Defend him? Not really. What you said minus the explitives (and your dumbass comments towards me) seems to be fairly accurate. A couple weeks ago, I would not have sided w/ you, but I learned to correct my mistake and I'm looking for a new place to tune in the Virginia area. I hear RPM is pretty decent.

And PS. This is my f'ning thread. I'll say whatever the hell I want.

lol.
sorry for going off on a tangent.. i was just irritated at work and blowing off steam online.

and yea, i can respect that saying whatever the hell i want thing... i do that too.

Quick Reply: Car keeps maintains throttle once gas is let off....