PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What about this doo hicky for a cheap laptop reader/scanner?

Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about this doo hicky for a cheap laptop reader/scanner?

I just need something to read first before I get a tuner. I need it to read my 98 and 99+ LS1's parameters.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELM32...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by csmc711; 11-07-2006 at 11:04 AM. Reason: add more to the subject
Old 11-07-2006, 11:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just make sure you get a tuning suite that offers a scanner with it...that link looks like junk & a complete waste of $
Old 11-07-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another thing to keep in mind... I *may* be mistaken, but I thought I remembered reading that devices using the ELM chip can't read enhanced OEM codes

Example... for GM it wouldn't be able to scan Knock Retard (and many other parameters)
Old 11-07-2006, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

On the other hand, any scanner is better than no scanner.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just wondering if it was a good ol cheapy scanner worth anything. Next step is a diablo or something and thats a hell of a jump!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO that scanner is a waste of money.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 11-07-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

efilive new scan tool is like $299 from memory and you can upgrade to the tuner later
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like he ^^^^^^^ said I would just bite the bullet and get a real scanner. You will be glad you did, It's not like you'll ever regret it.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree with the above. I wouldn't even bother. EFIlive's scan tool is only $249 AND has the ability to be upgraded later for the tuning package. Its a little more up front but well worth it in the end as you can upgrade as you like.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only thing (besides me being a pain in my own ***) that gets me with EFIlive it that you cant use it on numerous cars.

<if i read correctly> If I buy it with one vin and switch to another, I have to pay AGAIN???? One man, one car, wtf??? 250 for the scanner and 500 later for the tuner? Thats 750!! Hey, I can count?! , or, is that 250 and 99 per license?? Another thing, as far as scanning goes, I would have liked to find something that could scan multipule vehicles and get something to just tune my camaro with ALL in the 250 range. I am not sure, still looking into this stuff, but, I think that for just my car i do not have to many options and most/all the scanning suites are brand biased.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Hey man, if you find that "something that could scan multiple vehicles and get something to just tune my camaro with All in the $250 range", please, please, let me know...
I have been doing a ton of research on this and everytime I just go in a huge circle that leads right back to efilive or hptuners...
Good Luck.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a brand new obd2 scanner for sale, looking for 45 shipped
Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by csmc711
The only thing (besides me being a pain in my own ***) that gets me with EFIlive it that you cant use it on numerous cars.

<if i read correctly> If I buy it with one vin and switch to another, I have to pay AGAIN???? One man, one car, wtf??? 250 for the scanner and 500 later for the tuner? Thats 750!! Hey, I can count?! , or, is that 250 and 99 per license?? Another thing, as far as scanning goes, I would have liked to find something that could scan multipule vehicles and get something to just tune my camaro with ALL in the 250 range. I am not sure, still looking into this stuff, but, I think that for just my car i do not have to many options and most/all the scanning suites are brand biased.
You get what you pay for...

the cheapie scanners don't read the enhanced pids, so you won't be happy with that;

someone had to reverse engineer the PCM's operation, and this takes up that person's whole life, so it's fair for them to make money from it;

once you have the tuner, it's $99 per vehicle after you use up the 2 licenses it already comes with;

and you don't need any licenses to scan multiple vehicles or to read the tune from their PCMs.

Last edited by joecar; 11-08-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the autoxray can scan, but, I am not sure what. That $35 cheapo thing looked like it could scan some stuff, but, again, I dont know but there was like 3 peices of software to use in the windows platform. I am sure they cant scan grids and what not, but, all I would really need is something cheap that can read all the sensors and tell me what they are doing and check codes and I would be happy for now, if it was el cheapy.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:49 AM
TECH Junkie

The scanner works on all cars for the $250 price. The software itself has a license key so it can communicate with the cable, but it's not married to the vehicles. So for $250 you get the best and most powerfull scanner on the market, and software updates are free for life.

If you choose to upgrade to the tuning suite, you'll again be using the best and most powerful tuning suite on the market. The base package comes with 2 vin locked license's, and additional license's are $99. No confusing schemes here. The V2 hardware interface means you will not need a laptop in your car to reflash or scan. You can use it's built in flash memory, or expand it up to 2gb with SD cards (readily available at any WalMart).

Take a look at www.efilive.com for all the other details. And check out the forum www.forum.efilive.com to ask any specific questions you may have.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Restricted User

I just need something to read first before I get a tuner. I need it to read my 98 and 99+ LS1's parameters.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELM32...spagenameZWDVW
The link you posted indicates that the Elm chip in that particular device only supports the following protocols:
# Compatible with ISO9141 / KWP2000 Protocols
# ELM323 Interreter MCU based on ISO9141 Bus Transceivers and RS232 Level Shifters.
If they are the only two protocols that it supports, then it will not work with your LS1. The LS1 PCM uses the SAE-J1850 VPW protocol.

Regards
Paul
Old 11-10-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

And with the runout sale you can have EFIlive Commercial (through the Sponsors) for $549 if you can swing the little bit extra and dont mind lugging the laptop out to the car. By getting the Scanner you can discuss what data your tuners wants, do some scanning and logging and already be a leg up when you take your car for the tune.

And if you use your own license you can make the changes necessary after each round of modding. From what I have been told most tuners will lock your PCM since that is their hard work.....and rightfully so. Your chosen tuner can get you safely dialed in and as you learn you can fine tune.

I got my stuff yesterday and am amazed already. Thanks Greenlight and EFIlive...

R/

Frat
Old 11-10-2006, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, I have an ElmScan 5 - an ELM327 based cable, runs about $100 on eBay. It's not perfect, but it does work out of the box with almost every car out there, including data logging; I've tested it with success on a '99 Miata, '02 TrailBlazer, and two '06 Corvettes. It also gets codes perfectly from the first two, but oddly enough it doesn't get codes properly from the C6 - however, I believe this is a software issue more than anything else, and I can probably straighten it out with some time. It also gave me errors on my LS1-swapped truck, but now that I think about it, that may have been the same problem trying to get codes.

The only major drawback is the fact that, depending on the vehicle and protocol, the datalogging itself is not fast. If you only pull one parameter, you can get pretty good results - four to six times per second. At four parameters, at least on the C6, you get an update once per second.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fratsit

From what I have been told most tuners will lock your PCM since that is their hard work.....and rightfully so.

Frat
Heh, not if I am paying $450 for it, that belongs to me! If they want to lock it, they better come off $300 bucks!!

Thanks for the input, really, but, I cant see using $100 to experiment with though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What about this doo hicky for a cheap laptop reader/scanner?