PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna do some scanning before tune and have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wanna do some scanning before tune and have a few questions.

I just bought EFIlive Flashscan Commercial v1 and an LM1 from Greenlight Motorsports. I am scheduled to take my car in for a tune on the 14th using my license (so I can watch and learn) I am curious to know which "PIDs" (I hope thats the correct usage) I should be data logging that will make my tuners job easier and save myself some money in dyno time.

I did a search but was not able to come up with anything. If you have a certain combination of key words to search I will try again.

Mods are in the signature. This is an interesting section of LS1tech and I cant wait to get started.

Oh....I'll have everything in hand Thursday so I will have the weekend and then some to log data.

Thanks for your time.

R/

Frat
Old 11-07-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this from another post (don't remember which one, sorry)
"Try starting with these.
Engine Speed
Vehicle Speed
Ignition Timing Advance
Knock Retard
Engine Coolant Temp
Intake Air Temp
O2 Sensor B1S1
O2 Sensor B2S1
LTerm Fuel Trim B1
LTerm Fuel Trim B2
Map
MAF Flow Rate"
Old 11-07-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Cool....thanks alot. I will start with those. Correct me if I am wrong but I figured I would log at part throttle driving, do a couple of "rapid acceleration" runs (0-60, 0-80, 0-100, ect) and log coming to a stop a few times with the AC on and off.

If anyone else has any suggestions I am all ears.

R/

Frat
Old 11-07-2006, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Download the software from EFI, its free, and hit the tutorials. Well worth the effort.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get started, try using the default imperial. If you have the LM1 connected, you'll also want to monitor the AFR pids. When your looking at the pids, sort by system and look for the Wide02 pids.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

So you have the mods in your sig in the car and you have a V1 and LM1 up and running right now? And the trip to the dyno, a learning experience, is just going to maximize your current tune? I mean are you still working with the stock tune? Or is / has it been modified? EFI Live scanning basics, download, and print out all the tutorials. Read them, not everything will make sense or penetrate right off but you will get a chance to emerse yourself in the terminology. Between the Scanner and the tuning tool IMHO, you should concentrate your efforts on the Scanner learning learning curve. The tuning tool is layed out very logically, The Scanner is very powerful and customizeable. The more you know about the scanner the easier the whole process will be. First and foremost, you are going to have to develop your own tuning profiles/strategies as you can only monitor 24 channels at time, thus you are going to have to develope different dash/pid/ setups for different parameters/situations. I would break them up into chuncks. Idle-is a whole monstrosity in it'self that is a tidal wave of information that you will need to capture from cold to warm to fully heated up. For a drastic departure of A/F from say a set of heads/ cam you will need to get familiar with the AutoVE process/tutorial and develop a dashpage/pid selection for it. This is just scratching the surface. As far as "saving dyno time" I hope the shop uses/is familiar with Live so you can get good info/experience. The dyno is the safest enviroment for learning how to tune-no traffic, kids running out in the street after a soccer ball...I know many, including myself that have tuned without a dyno, all I am saying is this exercise will demand your entire brain and can be distracting while driving at best. You already have feedback with the LM-1, the safety factor can ultimately be a time saver, since you can completely focus on the task and not worry about traffic. Welcome to the world of tuning.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, read the tutes, and read the stickies here on LS1tech...
and visit the EFILive forum, there's a ton of info there too
(...you haven't registered yet... ).

Old 11-07-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with doc. Just the termology itself is a bear. I downloaded a LOA (list of acronyms) but even it is incomplete.
The dyno tune is good for WOT, but not required (IMO) for closed loop work. That is very time consuming, again IMO.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Purrvert
Download the software from EFI, its free, and hit the tutorials. Well worth the effort.
Just did....thank you, sir.

R/

Frat
Old 11-08-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Doc
So you have the mods in your sig in the car and you have a V1 and LM1 up and running right now? And the trip to the dyno, a learning experience, is just going to maximize your current tune? I mean are you still working with the stock tune? Or is / has it been modified? Welcome to the world of tuning.
Doc,

I will have V1 and an LM1 tomorrow, according to UPS tracking data. I currently have the stock tune in the car and am hoping my chosen tuner can lay a good foundation and I can learn and improve on that. Thanks alot for your feedback....well...everyones feedback.....it really got me thinking and has given me some direction to start out with.

The shop that I am using has told me they have tuned with EFIlive and HPtuners, I am confident in their abilities.

Joecar,

Point taken...I have registered.

I am off to play with the Demo....

R/

Frat
Old 11-08-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

So, I have been messing around with the demo...... I gotta tell ya, EFIlive is badass!! I feel like a 6 year old at Christmas! I am more excited about getting my stuff tomorrow (UPS don't let me down) than I was when my cam got here.

R/

Frat
Old 11-08-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts