Sponsored by:

What should I do for a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do for a tune?

This is what I will have and what I want to accomplish with it

I am going to purchase a 98-02 Z28 A4 with 3.23's to bracket race. I am going to install a FAST ram air, lid, catback, 160 thermo. and 100hp dry nitrous kit(just incase). What route would you guys recomend for me to go in the tuning department. I know I want to improve the firmess of the shifts, I want torque mangement deleted, fan temps lowered. I want to make this car as consistent as possible. Going the quickest possible is not the most important factor although it wouldn't hurt. Future adjustability is not that big of a concern bc the car will stay in this form for a long while.

Would you recomend a hand held tuner(predator ok?), custom tune, or a full laptop programer? Bear in mind I have no turning experience with an LS1 and really no local help. If you suggest a custom tune would a mail in place suffice or should I get it dyno tuned? If I should get it dyno tuned where is the best place near central Missouri and how much does it run?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just a noob trying to get his ducks in a row before i jump in.

thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

I would go for HP Tuners that way you will grow with it.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

handhelds are pretty limited

a custom tuning, dyno, street or whatever is a one shot deal that could run you $600 in some cases.

Tuning software suites start at around $499 and work their way up depending on options...hptuners is the route I went after getting what I would consider a poor dyno tune & havent looked back since.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

....and a mail order tune wont get you dead on either, especially after you start modding more and more.

Shop rates in my area run $200 per hour and up. I sprung for EFIlive and an LM1 because I want to get "down and dirty" with my car and learn to tune. The shop I am working with wanted 5-700 dollars minimum for a tune to start with using EFIlive and their license. I bought V1 and an LM1 for $849.

If you are gonna be bracket racing having the capabilty to make changes may be beneficial for you. My suggestion would be if you can swing it get a full tuning solution. It is alot to learn but I gotta tell ya, scanning my car as it idled this evening for the first time was sweet. Knowing that I have the power (but not necessarily the knowledge....yet) to make the necessary changes is a nice feeling, too.

I am still gonna use my shop to set a solid foundation for my tune, but I will be able to grow and learn from there and the best thing is its my license they will use.

And remember....we have all the experts here at our disposal.

Just my .02

R/

Frat