PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running a 3 bar sensor with stock PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone running a 3 bar sensor with stock PCM?

Im going to be using EFI V2 OS to run SD. I searched and went through all of the 225 threads about sensors. I learned that summit sell the sensors and GM direct sells the pigtail connector (Still don't know what the pigtail connector for and how it looks like), but I couldnt find anyone who installed with it success. I learned that the Cobalt 2 Bar sensor is a direct replacment, but I couldn't find what are the steps needed for the 3 bar sensor and if there any 3 bar sensors that are a direct replacment? There is no picture of the pigtail connector anywhere....even on GM website.

Also some people use the MSD and some use the Bosch... Which one should I go with?

Any help and pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am working on switching them out. Im using HPT 3 bar OS
i just bought the 3 bar sensor with pig tail and will be cutting and splicing the wires to the connnector.
in the pics i have the old 1 bar map, then below that is the 3 bar map, and right is the connector to the 3 bar.
the other pic show the connetcions to the 1 bar and bigger three bar.

i dont think it matters which one you use wether bosch or msd, i dont even know which one mine is as i got it off ebay, but i think summit is cheaper
Attached Thumbnails Anyone running a 3 bar sensor with stock PCM?-p1010658.jpg   Anyone running a 3 bar sensor with stock PCM?-p1010659.jpg  
Old 11-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Coal Mining Director

I'm converting to 2 bar next week to play with. I've read 3 bar is much harder to tune for no boost around town driving...why?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onfire
I'm converting to 2 bar next week to play with. I've read 3 bar is much harder to tune for no boost around town driving...why?
think of it as your putting more stuff in the same space, you none boost area on the 3-bar sensor is only a 1/3 of what a 1-bar sensor and a 2-bar puts it into first 1/2. on a 3-bar your none boosted area is only in the first 30kpa area after that your in boost( 40kpa to 100kpa) on a 2-bar your none boost is 10kpa to 50kpa so your in boost at 60kpa to 100kpa. you have more room to tune the none boosted area on the 2-bar.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
i am working on switching them out. Im using HPT 3 bar OS
i just bought the 3 bar sensor with pig tail and will be cutting and splicing the wires to the connnector.
in the pics i have the old 1 bar map, then below that is the 3 bar map, and right is the connector to the 3 bar.
the other pic show the connetcions to the 1 bar and bigger three bar.

i dont think it matters which one you use wether bosch or msd, i dont even know which one mine is as i got it off ebay, but i think summit is cheaper

Thanks... That helps alot..... Post the results when you are done.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nick97ta
think of it as your putting more stuff in the same space, you none boost area on the 3-bar sensor is only a 1/3 of what a 1-bar sensor and a 2-bar puts it into first 1/2. on a 3-bar your none boosted area is only in the first 30kpa area after that your in boost( 40kpa to 100kpa) on a 2-bar your none boost is 10kpa to 50kpa so your in boost at 60kpa to 100kpa. you have more room to tune the none boosted area on the 2-bar.
thats a bad way of saying that.
first off in HPT you have more cells in the 2 bar then one bar, and more in the 3 bar then 2 bar. so on the computer end the resolution is ok, now on the sensor end all the 1,2 and 3 bar sensors use voltage from 0-5volts to register to the computer to tell what the pressure is. so the sensor's resolution is weaker on the 2 bar, and then again more on the three bar.

I am going to start tuning my idle with the 1 bar RTT, then after i get that were i want it install my 3 bar and tweak the idle if needed and start on the boosted regions. main reason im doing that is because my PCM does not have enough ram to support the RTT on the 3 bar and the RTT will help me out with the idle tunning im sure.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:21 PM
AVB
Launching!

It's resolution but I would thing the accuracy or error rate is the biggest factor. I think this is a 3bar: http://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/P...s/09373269.pdf

And this is a 1bar: http://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/P...s/09359409.pdf

Notice the error rate differences are huge..

BTW, wouldn't that be the perfect 3bar for us? Let us know if you are able to find a source...

Arnel
Old 11-11-2006, 04:21 PM
...with cheese.

Originally Posted by nick97ta
I see what your trying to say but I also agree it's worded in a way that could confuse. Kpa is an absolute measurement... The screen resolution may have something to do in a 3-bar compared to ~2 with how wide of a range you can see but it's not going to change when you go into boost from a Kilopascal standpoint. 100kpa is the turning point in an engine from vacuum to positive pressure. It goes nearly hand and hand with volumetric efficiency. A N/A motor will rarely acheive more than 85-95% volumetric efficiency, so it's never pulling in more air than it can theoretically consume, "in non race applications", that's a different ballgame. A turbocharged car or any forced induction car for that matter creates boost. Boost is volumetric efficiency of a motor over 100% and also over 100kpa. I'm having trouble saying what I want to say here, I hope I didn't confuse anybody. 25-85/95kpa is where an N/A motor stays. Every bar of boost or 14.7psi is equal to another 100kpa. So 14.7psi into boost has you right at 200kpa on a tuning scale and so on.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:26 PM
...with cheese.

Originally Posted by AVB
It's resolution but I would thing the accuracy or error rate is the biggest factor. I think this is a 3bar: http://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/P...s/09373269.pdf

BTW, wouldn't that be the perfect 3bar for us? Let us know if you are able to find a source...

Arnel

I enjoyed looking at those diagrams. It's incredibe the inaccuracy range allowable on the 3-bar compared to the 1-bar! Imagine being 9-10kpa off in a high horse street car. That sounds like a pain in the *** to me.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AVB

Arnel

Wow those two sensors look like a direct replacment to me. Anyone can confirm? Both seem to be Delphi sensors.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Coal Mining Director

The Delphi 3.3 bar part number was posted as #16249939
Old 11-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Coal Mining Director

http://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/P...re_sensors.pdf
Old 11-11-2006, 10:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO how does EFI LIVE'S 3-bar OS differ from HPT? I've heard that timing can be referenced against boost as well.... what are the other differences?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
thats a bad way of saying that.
first off in HPT you have more cells in the 2 bar then one bar, and more in the 3 bar then 2 bar. so on the computer end the resolution is ok, now on the sensor end all the 1,2 and 3 bar sensors use voltage from 0-5volts to register to the computer to tell what the pressure is. so the sensor's resolution is weaker on the 2 bar, and then again more on the three bar.

I am going to start tuning my idle with the 1 bar RTT, then after i get that were i want it install my 3 bar and tweak the idle if needed and start on the boosted regions. main reason im doing that is because my PCM does not have enough ram to support the RTT on the 3 bar and the RTT will help me out with the idle tunning im sure.

I see your tuning programe is better than the one I have. I've got to put my 3-bar in and use the 1-bar table. I don't have diff. tables for diff. sensors.
stupid lt1edit.

Originally Posted by Armageddon
I see what your trying to say but I also agree it's worded in a way that could confuse. Kpa is an absolute measurement... The screen resolution may have something to do in a 3-bar compared to ~2 with how wide of a range you can see but it's not going to change when you go into boost from a Kilopascal standpoint. 100kpa is the turning point in an engine from vacuum to positive pressure. It goes nearly hand and hand with volumetric efficiency. A N/A motor will rarely acheive more than 85-95% volumetric efficiency, so it's never pulling in more air than it can theoretically consume, "in non race applications", that's a different ballgame. A turbocharged car or any forced induction car for that matter creates boost. Boost is volumetric efficiency of a motor over 100% and also over 100kpa. I'm having trouble saying what I want to say here, I hope I didn't confuse anybody. 25-85/95kpa is where an N/A motor stays. Every bar of boost or 14.7psi is equal to another 100kpa. So 14.7psi into boost has you right at 200kpa on a tuning scale and so on.
I've got a book that shows me how to use the 10-100kpa table and use 2 and 3-bar map sensors.

sorry for the mixup. stupid lt1edit
Old 11-12-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Frost
SO how does EFI LIVE'S 3-bar OS differ from HPT? I've heard that timing can be referenced against boost as well.... what are the other differences?
EFILive's OS is good for up to 285kPa, which equals roughly ~26psi. You can adjust timing by a single kPa table (boost). It is done in 10kPa incriments or about every 1.5psi. This is really nice if you want to adjust the timing throughout your range. I have used EFILive's custom OS with a 383/Vortech and it worked great. I used a standard 3bar map sensor from GM, pluged it RIGHT in only shaved the sides a little for fitment. The fit was perfect and ease of use wonderful. I never had to cut any wires or splice anything, all direct plug and play. Only thing you need to do is adjust the scalar function of the MAP to read the correct value and that is it. Takes about 10mins TOPS to get it where it needs to be.

Call me if any of you have any questions. I'll be with the family all day today but you can get me after 10pm EST or anytime next week.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

you poor lt1 guys have a disadvantage
Old 11-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Black02SS
EFILive's OS is good for up to 285kPa, which equals roughly ~26psi. You can adjust timing by a single kPa table (boost). It is done in 10kPa incriments or about every 1.5psi. This is really nice if you want to adjust the timing throughout your range. I have used EFILive's custom OS with a 383/Vortech and it worked great. I used a standard 3bar map sensor from GM, pluged it RIGHT in only shaved the sides a little for fitment. The fit was perfect and ease of use wonderful. I never had to cut any wires or splice anything, all direct plug and play. Only thing you need to do is adjust the scalar function of the MAP to read the correct value and that is it. Takes about 10mins TOPS to get it where it needs to be.

Call me if any of you have any questions. I'll be with the family all day today but you can get me after 10pm EST or anytime next week.

Do you mean a 2 bar map? Which 3bar plugged right in?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

The map sensor I used #12580698. I believe it is actually a 3bar sensor, I may be mistaken. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Chad... Im getting that sensor... Any news on the V2 and LC1?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black02SS
The map sensor I used #12580698. I believe it is actually a 3bar sensor, I may be mistaken. Please correct me if I am wrong.
HPT 2 BAR here.Chad this is a 2.5 bar sensor. Same sensor I am using in my car. Its this one. And plug and play!

Quick Reply: Anyone running a 3 bar sensor with stock PCM?