Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 edit

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 edit

exactly what all can i do with ls1 edit?i cant get alot out of there website.

can i fine tune shift points(part and full throttle)?

can i adjust for my gears?

what all can be done with engine?i plan on doing a cam intake swap?

i bought the hypertech pp3 for my gears it was the only handheld that would do the 98.i cant get the shifts rite with it they are too high or to low.

the ls1edit is in my budget so any help please
Old 11-14-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The question is why does LS1edit still get any consideration with EFI Live and HP Tuners available? Have you not heard of them?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Default affordability

uh the price any real help please
Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

real help: if you research it a little you will find that it is not really an option nor is it cheap. HPT or EFILive (choice) are high quality, modern tuners. you get what you pay for. if you really want cheap, maybe you should be looking at tunercat. no experience with it but it is lower in cost.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

LS1 Edit will do about 80% of what HP Tuners and EFI Live does, So yes it will do what you need it to do.

LS1 Edit doesn't have a scanner (**** poor beta version) HPT and EFI have nice ones.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
uh the price any real help please
LS1edit, $450
HPTuners, $499
I guess save the $49 and get LS1edit.

Real help is all over this forum, You just have to do a little reading.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

exactly what all can i do with ls1 edit?i cant get alot out of there website.

can i fine tune shift points(part and full throttle)?

can i adjust for my gears?

what all can be done with engine?i plan on doing a cam intake swap?

i bought the hypertech pp3 for my gears it was the only handheld that would do the 98.i cant get the shifts rite with it they are too high or to low.

the ls1edit is in my budget so any help please
Sorry about all the bickering here, everytime LS1 Edit is mentioned you always have the people that wanna tell you how much it sucks. I would bet half of them have never even used Edit before either and just listen to everyone on the Net. You can pick it up used usually for really cheap.

Anyway, Edit can do everything you need. You can change tire and gear sizes, change all limiters such as speed and rev limiters, you can change transmission settings, delete SES codes, and tune everyting you need to in the engine such as spark timing, knock sensor desensitizing, MAF, VE, PE, IFR, idle, throttle cracker.

Edit can pretty much do it all, it just takes a little more caluculation by the user to get the values right, unlike some of the new tuners that can do a lot automatically. I dont mind using edit, but then again i enjoy doing the mathematical calculations to figure out all the values. It helps me get a better understand of how the PCM operates too.

I WOULD NOT buy a new copy of LS1 Edit though. You only get one VIN license for the price and HPT is a little more $$ but you get 2 years of vehicles, not locked to one particulay VIN. LS1 Edits customer support isnt that good either.

Last edited by brad8266; 11-14-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

P.S.
Yes I've used LS1edit and it does suck starting with read and write times, hoping it doesn't fry your PCM, and ending with the **** poor beta scanner, with a whole lot of other things that suck in between.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
P.S.
Yes I've used LS1edit and it does suck starting with read and write times, hoping it doesn't fry your PCM, and ending with the **** poor beta scanner, with a whole lot of other things that suck in between.
For sure read time sucks *** with edit, takes forever to read. I never had a problem with PCM frying, and I still dont knwo what the big issue with the beta scanner is except that it doesnt look cool. It has worked fine for me.

I am by no means trying to argue that Edit is easier to use than the new tuners though, so dont think thats what i am trying to say. If i was buying new, id be getting the new EFI Live with the cool handheld module. I may be making the change soon. For now Edit works fine though.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
... I would bet half of them have never even used Edit before either and just listen to everyone on the Net. ...
Ummm i have used it. bought it used and quickly found out that to "properly" license it would cost me 350 bux. kinda ballsy considering the competition's software quality. they must not need the customers... ever hear of dead PCM from edit freaking out?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Default hptuners

well i done a little research and i think ill spend the extra 49$the main reason is i can use it on both my gm vehicles.i have a scanner so thats not an issue.

one last question.what are the pc requirments for the hp tuners?the ls1edit will operate on a 2oomhz and 32ram
Old 11-14-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS2win
Ummm i have used it. bought it used and quickly found out that to "properly" license it would cost me 350 bux. kinda ballsy considering the competition's software quality. they must not need the customers... ever hear of dead PCM from edit freaking out?
WOW I got a license from them for a lot cheaper than that. I have not dealt with the PCM dead thing ever.

Like I said already they dont have good cust support.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i done a little research and i think ill spend the extra 49$the main reason is i can use it on both my gm vehicles.i have a scanner so thats not an issue.

one last question.what are the pc requirments for the hp tuners?the ls1edit will operate on a 2oomhz and 32ram
LS1_Edit runs on a Windows platform with a minimum Pentium 200 with 48 MB RAM or better. The software, including all DLL files, requires approximately 15MB of disk space.

A RS232 serial port with a DB9 connector is required for communications. Parallel and/or USB ports are not supported directly. If you do not have a serial port, a PCMCIA serial adapter is recommended. A USB port can be used when you have a compatible USB to RS-232 adapter.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HPTuners minimum requirements http://www.hptuners.com/help/introdu...quirements.htm
400mhz
128mb ram

FWIW hptuners comes with enough credits to license up to 4 vehicles

As for the debate over edit its really not even a debate at all edit is still going on the name and not much more at this point HPTuners & EFILive both have over edit

Better scanning
Better editor with more parameters
1/2/3 bar custom Operating systems
Real Time Tuning capability
Standalone datalogging(no laptop needed)
analog inputs to log a wideband right into the scanner software
Much better/cheaper licensing options

there really is no comparison...again they are just hanging onto the name at this point.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by foff667
HPTuners minimum requirements http://www.hptuners.com/help/introdu...quirements.htm
400mhz
128mb ram

FWIW hptuners comes with enough credits to license up to 4 vehicles

As for the debate over edit its really not even a debate at all edit is still going on the name and not much more at this point HPTuners & EFILive both have over edit

Better scanning
Better editor with more parameters
1/2/3 bar custom Operating systems
Real Time Tuning capability
Standalone datalogging(no laptop needed)
analog inputs to log a wideband right into the scanner software
Much better/cheaper licensing options

there really is no comparison...again they are just hanging onto the name at this point.
The point I was trying to make was that Edit can be useful to tune with, but if you cant get it really cheap then its not worth it.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I bought ls1 edit a year ago and for what I needed it for it seemed ok, I am using it now at the moment but if I could do it over again I would get efi live probably, I would def. spend an extra 200-300 over ls1 edit if I could go back and do it again. just my 2 cents
Old 11-15-2006, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry about all the bickering here, everytime LS1 Edit is mentioned you always have the people that wanna tell you how much it sucks. I would bet half of them have never even used Edit before either and just listen to everyone on the Net. You can pick it up used usually for really cheap.

Anyway, Edit can do everything you need. You can change tire and gear sizes, change all limiters such as speed and rev limiters, you can change transmission settings, delete SES codes, and tune everyting you need to in the engine such as spark timing, knock sensor desensitizing, MAF, VE, PE, IFR, idle, throttle cracker.

Edit can pretty much do it all, it just takes a little more caluculation by the user to get the values right, unlike some of the new tuners that can do a lot automatically. I dont mind using edit, but then again i enjoy doing the mathematical calculations to figure out all the values. It helps me get a better understand of how the PCM operates too.

I WOULD NOT buy a new copy of LS1 Edit though. You only get one VIN license for the price and HPT is a little more $$ but you get 2 years of vehicles, not locked to one particulay VIN. LS1 Edits customer support isnt that good either.
The point I was trying to make was that Edit can be useful to tune with, but if you cant get it really cheap then its not worth it.
I think that is the key that everyone overlooks. You can get it cheap and it's worth it if you do but otherwise, but HPT or EFIlive if you have to pay retail.