Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light Question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Light Question..

Will the SES light come on if your a certain amount of miles over the 3k mi oil change time frame? I changed with full synthetic last time and not too worried about running over it a little, im like 34-3500mi and my little oil light comes on and now my SES is on. Car acts totally fine and everything, is it set up to do that so you'll know to change your oil on time or am i possibly showing a negative code for something?? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have the code read for the SES, the change oil light from the GM oil life system is separate - and comes on WAY after 3K, just reset the oil change light and see if the MIL goes off.

Edit: Not talking about the low oil light - right? It comes on when you're about 2 quarts low...check it.

Last edited by 2001NBMZ28; 11-16-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry Ive been busy and havent gotten on here in the past couple days. The oil level is fine, I went ahead and checked that. On the left of the cluster I have a yellow change oil light (i believe thats what it says) that comes on when i start the car then goes off apprx 30 sec later. It started right around 3k mi after my oil change, thats why i thought it was to remind you to get it done. Then I have a SES light that is staying on permanently and just came on about a week ago. I had a bunch of work done to my car and tune about 2 months ago but have driven it alot since then and has and is still running like normal. Also i dont know how to reset the oil change light. lol
Old 11-20-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Change Oil comes on for that...SES is something else entirely.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Turn the key to RUN, press and hold the trip/oil reset button down on the dash for a few seconds until it flashes and goes off. That'll reset the change oil light. For the SES light you can have the code(s) read free at Auto Zone.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, ill reset the oil light and i guess head to autozone beginning of the week to see what the hell is wrong lol..
Old 11-21-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy a generic scan tool to use with you laptop for less than the cost of a couple hours of labor at your local dealership these days. Troubleshooting is more than just parts swapping since OBDII took over in 96. You can however try to move a problem by switching B1S1 with B2S1 to see if the problem moves, but you'd still need a scan tool to read the DTC to see if the code changed after the swap. You need a scan tool, a DVOM and the knowledge to interprete things like freeze frames and such to fix your own vehicle in the world of EPA. We're likely not going back to the good old days any time soon so it's time to adjust to the modern way of tuneups. When was the last time you had to pull out a feeler gauge to do a tune up. Those days are gone.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No idea what you just said HAHA
Old 11-22-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe start with a book on how OBDII works and you'll then realize why you need a scan tool. If you have an LSX engine and you plan to keep it for a while and do any significant mods you should consider AutoTap at the least and if you're the least bit serious about your car you should step up to efilive. Flashscan V2 will cost you a few dollars, but it runs circles around the Tech2 the mechanics at the GM dealerships use and they pay about $2,500.00 for the scan tool they get from Vetronics.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

For codes Auto Zone reads them free - harbor freight sells a cheapo code reader for $39-$49 too - just a code reader and more convenient if you live out in the sticks. Post the code(s) when you get them.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

There is a BIG difference between a Code Reader and a Scan Tool. One is OBDI oriented while the later is OBDII. A code reader does only that whereas a scan tool reads PIDs, gives you freeze frame data and can reset your SES MIL. Some do much more such as efilive. It does everything, but walk and talk when it comes to the LSX seriers. It makes the Vetronics Tech2 look like an Etchasketch. But a scan tool by itself is almost useless unless you have additional documentation to know what to do with the information the scan tool gives you(DTCs,freeze frames,PID data). You need to know what to do when you read a DTC. It's not just reading a 02 sensor DTC and swapping out parts. Auto Zone makes big bucks reading DTCs for customers and then selling them 02 Sensors and MAP sensors and such they don't necessarily need to be replaced. Parts swapping is a very highly overpriced method of troubleshooting.