Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP with PCM!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP with PCM!!!!

So I had been noticing a decline in my mpg by quite a bit lately and could not figure out why I was getting such worse gas mileage. Well finally hooked it up to a computer today and was going to try to figure out the problem but hit another problem. The computer could not make connection with the pcm. Do you guys know some of the common problems that was cause this to happen? I checked all my power wires on the battery and such and they seem to be fine but can't figure out for the life of me why the computer isn't connecting to the pcm.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

blown cig lighter fuse.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

well i checked that and its fine. It's not that it won't connect to the car per say. Like i was able to check my abs system and stuff I just can't make a connection with the pcm. Every time I try it says my connection to the car is fine but there is a communication error some where. Anybody have any clues on any grounds or wires I could check to figure out whats wrong
Old 11-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

i did just remove my hypertech power programmer the other day would that for some reason cause the pcm to get messed up and not communicate with a computer that is hooked up to the car to scan stuff. I just don't know why the pcm is giving me trouble. You guys think my pcm might be bad for some reason. I have no clue what to shoot for.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shouldnt have but ya never know...try another scanner.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

well no i know the scanner is good because it was able to read stuff about my abs system and we used it on other vehicles and it worked fine so I know its not the scanner it has something to do with the wires running to my pcm or something in that circuit I just don't know what it could be like I am almost leaning to that my pcm is messed up and not communicating with the scanner. Have many of you seen the pcm go bad liek this?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would definately try another scanner first. My modis cannot read my 3000 computer but my easy hand held matco scanner can no problem. Also try scanning in universal obdII rather than vehicle specific.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

well the scanner is a pretty nice model. its a "Genesis" and a fairly high dollar scanner so I didn't think that the scanner would be reading bad but I guess it possible could. what puzzles me about that the scanner is bad though is the fact that I have been using this same scanner on my car for 3.5 years now and this is the first time it hasn't worked plus fairly recently my gas mileage has gone to **** so thats why I wondered if my pcm was all wacked out and possible screwed up?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

ttt.....anybody got any other little clues i could try. I am gonna try my buddys pcm from his 96 z28 and see if it works and he also has another scanner which we can try to see if it works but I really don't think its the scanner I feel I have something else wrong