Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 03:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problems with idle

The car is a stock 01 WS.6 6-speed car (BONE STOCK, not eve na K&N)

Symptoms first recognized: The car was taken on a 600 mile trip, on the last leg of the trip when the gas was let off, shifter in N and clutch let off, the rpms would slowly climb to 2500ish. Clutch in and the car would slow down like normal, clutch out and slowly back up with the rpms... When the car was shut off/cranked, it idled proper.

Actions taken: Cleaned IAC with carb cleaner

Results: No more drastic stuff like the above, but with the AC on sometimes the car will idle at 1100 or so and with AC off normally she does ok(800) but sometimes not, wierd. Also, when cranked it will rocket up to 1700rpm or so (even when hot) instead of the 1200-1400rpm it normally goes to. Almost like the engine is being FLOORED.

How do I get it to go back to idle around 800rpm ac or no ac and not to rev the **** out of the motor on crank up?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a exhaust/intake leak somewhere. If it is a stock motor with no mods, then something mechanical IMO is wrong. Try cleaning your MAF as well.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Sounds like you have a exhaust/intake leak somewhere. If it is a stock motor with no mods, then something mechanical IMO is wrong. Try cleaning your MAF as well.
Why does it no-longer climb to 2500 after cleaning the IAC? Why does it idle correct after shut-off/crank? If it was a vac leak it would always be leaking, no?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could have been the IAC was sticking. The IAC has a reset position that it defaults to when the key is on to the run position. If it was stuck open, then you have an extra amount of air going into the motor causing it to idle high. If the car had mods or something had been done to it, I would say it might be a tuning issue, but since it is a bone stock car, I don't see how.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black02SS
It could have been the IAC was sticking. The IAC has a reset position that it defaults to when the key is on to the run position. If it was stuck open, then you have an extra amount of air going into the motor causing it to idle high. If the car had mods or something had been done to it, I would say it might be a tuning issue, but since it is a bone stock car, I don't see how.

i think its the iac personally. it started doing this and got worse/worse. since it doesnt surge, i doubt its vac leak,
Old 11-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Banned

Ok, took some propane and went all around the intake. I think that the IAC was messing up and then took a while to "re-learn" itself after I put it on. Seems to be doing well. new IAC is $98, so its gonna have to take a **** for me to buy one.